cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

stevenvhb
Adept I

Issue with RTX 4060 in PCIe4.0 with B650E chipset + Ryzen 9 7900 processor

Hello, I would like to share my story regarding an issue that suspiciously resembles an older, previously occurring problem. I've recently built a new PC, which consists of an AMD Ryzen 7900 (non X), a B650E motherboard (ASUS ROG Strix B650E-I), and an RTX4060 graphics card. The problem lies in the fact that the computer exhibits strange behavior when the motherboard's PCIe x16 lane is set to 'AUTO' or 'GEN4'. When I mention strange behavior, I mean 1. 'crackling' audio, 2. USB connectivity dropping intermittently, and 3. the GPU severely underperforming at times (e.g., 15FPS instead of 120FPS) even when it's at around 100% usage.

If PCIe x16 is set to 'GEN 3', these issues vanish. After extensive research to first identify the malfunction with the graphics card (initial suspicion was on faulty graphics card or chipset drivers), I've come across more and more articles discussing problems with an AMD CPU + Chipset and an NVIDIA graphics card. Ultimately, AMD themselves acknowledged that AGESA was the culprit in this matter and that a new version would be made available to manufacturers. However, all this information pertains to the AM4 socket. It seems that AGESA for AM5 is different because now there is mention of AGESA AM5 PI 1.0.8.0 for my ASUS ROG Strix B650E-I. Could it be that the solution offered back then by the new AM4 AGESA wasn't implemented for AM5?

Problem the same as in the thread(s) below: 

https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/audio-crackling-and-usb-issues-with-pcie-gen-4-0/m-p/421978

https://www.tweaktownforum.com/forum/tech-support-from-vendors/gigabyte/976316-x570-aorus-usb-and-in...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/lqu0u2/do_people_also_have_audio_issues_with_pcie_40_on/

0 Likes
6 Replies

Personally it sounds like a Motherboard BIOS issue or possibly a Nvidia driver issue.

I would open Support tickets at both Asus and Nvidia to see if it is a BIOS issue or a Nvidia Driver issue.

NOTE: AMD did have Audio issues and USB connectivity issues in the past but most were resolved by AMD and Motherboard BIOS and Driver updates.

stevenvhb
Adept I

Thanks for your response. It's getting all too crazy now: currently (since to change PCIx16 to Gen3) my PC is running very smoothly, benchmarks like Futuremark / Passmark / Furmark have never run smoother, but now my PC won't boot into the BIOS anymore, even when I explicitly try that through 'Settings => System => Recovery => Advanced recovery options' from Windows. What I notice during startup is that I now see the Numlock light come on 3 times instead of 2 times like before. And the first screen I see now is my desktop; previously, I used to see the last part of the login screen (as well as a very brief display of the boot screen with the ASUS logo before that, now it's just blank until Windows desktop). Pressing Del during startup no longer works; I keep booting into Windows again. Sounds like a motherboard issue?

Furthermore, I really don't understand it: when I open HwInfo, I see PCIe 4.0 x8 (as it should ideally be), but I am 100% sure that I set PCIe x16 to Gen 3. Once again, the PC has never run smoother. I currently have no reason to change the BIOS, but isn't this just too crazy?

EDIT: now I see that the x8 (8.0GT/s) on the right does correspond with PCIe 3.0 speed. Very strange behavior of the MoBo @Startup though. I'm going to flash the motherboard to the latest BIOS update (2 newer versions currently), let's hope it boots again..

ASUS HwInfo Pre Flashback 2.png

Post a GPU-Z image of both your Nvidia GPU and AMD IGPU to see what is shown as far as PCIe lane being used by your Nvidia GPU card.

My Nvidia 1070 is not compatible with UEFI mode in BIOS with certain Monitors. I have a 4K LG Monitor (DP Connected) that has no video output during POST only when Windows starts to load when BIOS is set to UEFI mode. But when I set it to Legacy Mode I do have Video Output to my LG Monitor from my Nvidia GPU card.

Luckily I have a 2k Samsung smart TV and I do have video output from my Nvidia GPU card in UEFI Mode to my tv set but not to my LG 4k Monitor.

Anyways, GPU-Z should indicate which PCIe lane your GPU card is using.

Also I would ask Nvidia Support if they have a newer Nvidia vBIOS to update.

NOTE: If your Asus BIOS is fairly out dated I would update it to the latest Non-BETA BIOS Version to better hardware and software compatibility. 

0 Likes

The 4060 is only pcie 4.0 x 8, setting to x 16 will do nothing except maybe steal resources from other pcie basically.

As for usb problem, first thing to try is disable 'usb selective suspend'.

Don't forget to also update chipset drivers.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
stevenvhb
Adept I

Guys, there is definitely something wrong with the interaction between PCIe and the GPU.

I flashed the motherboard again last night to the latest available version: 1812 (2023/10/20). All settings were back to 'default.' So, PCIe x16 was set to 'Auto' (likely Gen 5?), but that immediately brought back the previously mentioned issues. In Futuremark 3DMark 11, my system scored P1841 (see screenshot, the HwInfo shot was taken around the same time). A terrible number!!

stevenvhb_0-1698138053003.png

stevenvhb_1-1698138231810.png

So then in the BIOS, I manually set it back to Gen 4. In Gen 4, it was still not running perfectly though the stuttering was much less frequent. Benchmarks are now significantly smoother (for example, compared to 'Auto,' 10fps suddenly turned into 150fps), but I still occasionally saw the screen 'locking up,' which is also noticeable in the GPU's buzzing sound during the benchmark— it occasionally stutters in line with the screen glitches. The same is evident when scrolling on YouTube or playing videos: Better, but there are still frequent stutters, and it's noticeably disruptive.

Additionally, in Gen 4, I can't access the BIOS anymore, no matter what I try. Hitting 'Del' or 'F2' frantically does nothing, and attempting it from Windows (Settings => System => Recovery => Advanced Recovery) also fails—I just boot back to the Windows desktop.

Therefore, I flashed back to the same 1812 version just to reset the settings to default and set PCIe x16 immediately to 'Gen 3'. Since PCIe x16 is set to 'Gen 3,' the computer runs smoothly, and I no longer experience interruptions. 3DMark 11 now scores P29000, a number I can live with.

Furmark runs at 250 FPS at the standard 1280x720 resolution without interruptions, something that was not the case with 'Gen 4'; there were noticeable interruptions every few seconds.

What could be going on here? Again, no other setting has been changed since the initial flash to 1812; everything is at default. All drivers are the latest official standard drivers available.

There must be an issue with the combination of the R9 7900 + B650E + RTX 4060, undoubtedly. I'm not exactly sure on a low-level what changing PCIe x16 from 'Auto' to Gen 4 or Gen 3 precisely does. Yes, it adjusts the PCIe version and lane speeds, but how can this have such an impact on the freezing / stuttering of the GPU?!?

I can recreate this problem so I'm 100% sure this is the issue/'culprite' but no idea how to solve this.

0 Likes
abadich
Journeyman III

Hello,

So I am having some of the same issues not entirely referencing lane issues (x8 x16), but I do also have a 4060, and its not playing nice with my components as well. I have sent the card back once already and upon receiving my "new" asus 4060 dual oc card it acted the exact same as my other card. I have my BIOS set to the same as you at first flash "auto". I would have stutters as well, and also have issues with gaming (black screens at load of the game or during), and a whole lot more issues like pink screens on enabling frame generation. I got around everything all my issues low ratings with this command being ran as admin: bcdedit /set pciexpress forcedisable

I reboot my machine, and had no more issues, some people say it is putting a band-aid on a gun wound, but it helped my issues. No idea what it does, but helped. 

0 Likes