cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

benjaone
Adept I

Is it possible to make the CPU overclock by it self when needed?

Just like my laptop, it runs on a low frequency untill when needed then it overclocks by it self. Is this possible on a gamer with AMD ryzen CPU? So it's not overclocked all the time, thanks!

Ben

0 Likes
2 Replies
hitbm47
Forerunner

Hi @benjaone 

I think they introduced the specific auto overclocking feature with the Ryzen 2000 series, but I think you might have this confused with Turbo Boost.

Turbo Boost is something AMD and Intel introduced to their respective CPUs many years ago, where the CPU is; for example, rated at a base clock of 2.9Ghz and a Boost Clock of 3.6Ghz. Therefore, the CPU will boost to say 3.4Ghz during gaming with some of the cores boosting to 3.6Ghz when the workload allows it.

But, when idle the CPU will run between 1Ghz-3Ghz which is also an energy efficient mode. I would recommend leaving your settings on Balanced Power since this scales the clock-speeds for more stable performance during gaming, etc.

Kind regards

0 Likes

Hello,

Feel free to check out a number of channels on YouTube where such folks like Jay from JayzTwoCents and Steve Burke from Gamers Nexus for example cover this topic very well. In the last few years processors automatically boost as needed taking temperature, current/voltage and load as part of their functional parameters when they boost. In most cases it's just best to keep them cool as possible than try to manipulate them with such tools like Ryzen Master which in the foot note(s) states that the usage of such tools can/will void a processors warranty. Just as one can possibly void the warranty by enabling certain features in a motherboards BIOS as well, as their is a warning that gets displayed prior to accessing said features. Please note that I am merely providing a basic summary from a perspective that you can look up by doing a web search, but by also referring to the AMD web pages. 

X570 Taichi, Ryzen 3600XT, 32G of F4-3400C16D-16GSXW, XFX RX5700, NH-D15 Chromemax.black, Fractal Design R5, SilentWings 3 case fans, Intel 660P M.2 1T, WDS256G1X0C M.2 256G
0 Likes