Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I Need Better Core Distribution on My FX 6200

Jump to solution

I don't know a lot about processors, frankly.  Too "deep in the weeds" for me, but I know 6 cores @ 3.8MHz ain't chopped liver.  Here's my problem.

I'm driving a professional DAW with it (Sonar X3) with some added plugins of course.  But I've noticed when looking at the CPU activity guage that the latency starts breaking up because the 1st core seems to be doing 3X's the work of all the others combined.  Isn't there some way to better distribute that power?  I know the 1st core handles all of the OS tasks, but like I say, that core is doing WAAY more than all the others.  Is there some 1/2-way easy solution to this?  I've already boosted the latency buffers in my software.  Keep in mind, I'm not as geeky as a most folks on this forum.

Thanks,

UB

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: I Need Better Core Distribution on My FX 6200

Jump to solution

Try un-parking your CPU cores.

For Windows 7 and Windows 8.1

ParkControl Free – Bitsum

What is core parking and should you adjust it? | TCAT Shelbyville – Technical Blog

Win7 Core Parking Optimization for Intel i7 CPUs – FlexRadio Systems

How to increase your FPS for CPU Intensive PC games on Windows 7 and 8 - Gaming - CPUs

IMPORTANT****** Windows 10 users

Windows 10 core parking (Core Parking Index) is controlled by the computer power plan. Setting the power plan to "High Performance" disables any core parking (all cores un-parked). Setting the computer power plan to "Balanced" or "Power Saving" parks any core with less than 5% usage.

IMPORTANT******Ryzen CPU users

Power Plans

Users may have heard that AMD recommends the High Performance power plan within Windows® 10 for the best performance on Ryzen, and indeed we do.

AMD also addressed power plans in Windows 10 and how they affect Ryzen processors. For the moment, the company recommends enabling the High Performance power plan to allow the SenseMI power and frequency management built into the processor to work properly. AMD says this is necessary for two reasons:

1. Core Parking OFF: Idle CPU cores are instantaneously available for thread scheduling. In contrast, the Balanced plan aggressively places idle CPU cores into low power states. This can cause additional latency when un-parking cores to accommodate varying loads.
  2. Fast frequency change: The AMD Ryzen processor can alter its voltage and frequency states in the 1ms intervals natively supported by the “Zen” architecture. In contrast, the Balanced plan may take longer for voltage and frequency (V/f) changes due to software participation in power state changes.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

Try un-parking your CPU cores.

For Windows 7 and Windows 8.1

ParkControl Free – Bitsum

What is core parking and should you adjust it? | TCAT Shelbyville – Technical Blog

Win7 Core Parking Optimization for Intel i7 CPUs – FlexRadio Systems

How to increase your FPS for CPU Intensive PC games on Windows 7 and 8 - Gaming - CPUs

IMPORTANT****** Windows 10 users

Windows 10 core parking (Core Parking Index) is controlled by the computer power plan. Setting the power plan to "High Performance" disables any core parking (all cores un-parked). Setting the computer power plan to "Balanced" or "Power Saving" parks any core with less than 5% usage.

IMPORTANT******Ryzen CPU users

Power Plans

Users may have heard that AMD recommends the High Performance power plan within Windows® 10 for the best performance on Ryzen, and indeed we do.

AMD also addressed power plans in Windows 10 and how they affect Ryzen processors. For the moment, the company recommends enabling the High Performance power plan to allow the SenseMI power and frequency management built into the processor to work properly. AMD says this is necessary for two reasons:

1. Core Parking OFF: Idle CPU cores are instantaneously available for thread scheduling. In contrast, the Balanced plan aggressively places idle CPU cores into low power states. This can cause additional latency when un-parking cores to accommodate varying loads.
  2. Fast frequency change: The AMD Ryzen processor can alter its voltage and frequency states in the 1ms intervals natively supported by the “Zen” architecture. In contrast, the Balanced plan may take longer for voltage and frequency (V/f) changes due to software participation in power state changes.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

THANKS MUCH Kingfish.  I had 6 cores @ 3.8 operating at 5%. I fired dat mutha up to 90%.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

Game on Bro 

Change the setting to 100% instead of 90% is better.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

Also..note that you have a new setting in the advanced view of the computer power plan. I use 100% (all cores unparked) for my 'high performance' setting.

Highlighted
Forerunner
Forerunner

Jump to solution

not in windows10.. all you can do is set processor performance to maximum..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

"You can use the Core Parking Manager now to adjust the power settings and insure your CPUs’ power is set appropriately.You can unhide the Core Parking Manager feature in the power management settings and control it on the fly.

With regedit you can unhide a feature under your power settings (advanced settings)-[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583]
“Attributes”=dword:00000000         (Default is 1, 0 unhides the attribute)"

Or use this tool to unhide the option > ParkControl - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Highlighted
Forerunner
Forerunner

Jump to solution

Thanks kingfish, I'll have to do this.. My i5-6600k isnt parked yet but it will be parked at 4.4ghz

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forerunner
Forerunner

Jump to solution

Kingfish you left out a / in the file path to the regedit setting.  somewhere in the 47b60b740d00cc5b647  portion..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

Just use the tool...

0 Kudos