cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Gmoney
Journeyman III

I heard that AMD will send me a cpu to update bios and then return it

So I recently upgraded my cpu to a Ryzen 5 5500 because my old Ryzen 5 2600 had a pin fall out. But my motherboard, an ASROCK 320m/ac, will turn the pc on with my new cpu but won't give power to my monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc without a bios update. I heard on a discord that amd will send me a spare cpu to update them while charging me $50 until returned, how can I request for a cpu?

0 Likes
3 Replies

What bios version is installed, may be some other issue?

Probably easier/quicker to contact/take the pc to local sales/repair. Check on cost?

Here's the link anyway, https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-105

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
Koyote7667
Challenger

Your cpu gives power to your monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and a update will fix it?  Id stay off that discord your on. 

0 Likes

Some of the old motherboards would have needed a BIOS update to accept a newer CPU.  I didn't deal with any of it personally but there's a good chance he has a BIOS that doesn't support the 5000 GPUs.  My x99 motherboard didn't support Broadwell-E / Xeon E5v4 processors until a couple of years after it was released, and most of the Epyc 7001 motherboards needed BIOS updates to support Epyc 7002...   Without the CPU there's nothing to display and nothing to initialize the keyboard.   It's actually incredibly common across every brand. 

If the board can't recognize the CPU it usually won't enter BIOS and unless it's a server board with a BMC that can either output local VGA or that you can remote into to update, the only other fallback is a "BIOS flashback" type feature where you'd boot with a thumbdrive in a specific slot and hold a button on the back of the machine... but not all motherboards have that feature. 

People were really ranting about the Supermicro H11 dual Epyc boards in seller reviews because resellers weren't marking the board version...  even though those had a BMC, the physical ROM chip for the BIOS on the first board version didn't have enough space for the updated BIOS version that would run 7002 chips.   People who just dropped $10000 on a couple of medium end Epycs and maybe another $6000 on the 16 sticks of ECC RDIMMs with high enough capacity to give each core complex plenty to work with not to mention other components weren't too happy about needing to either pay to have SM swap the chips or return and buy a new board while trying to keep within the terrible small return period most of the resellers have on hardware. 

I'd stay off of discord anyway, but in this case I think the only "wrong" thing was probably the sending a CPU to flash BIOS.  It would be less of a pain to buy the lowest end 2000 series from ebay for junk-level pricing and use that to flash. 

0 Likes