cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

foster4710
Journeyman III

i have an old dell inspiron 570 with an AMD Athlon (tm) iix2 240 processor 2.80GHz i want to up grade this but not sure what to use

u

0 Likes
10 Replies
dacq
Adept III

Any AM3 processor should work, like the 6-core Phenom II X6 1055T (HDT55TWFK6DGR) or a 4-core Phenom II X4 945 (HDX945WFK4DGI) (those are the 95W versions as there are 125W versions too). www.ebay.com is the best place, with some sellers shipping internationally.

0 Likes

I would contact Dell Support to find out what Processors are compatible with your computer's motherboard. 

Yes, any AM3 Processor would fit on the Motherboard, BUT if Dell doesn't have a BIOS version for that processor, it won't be recognized by the motherboard. Most likely it won't even boot up.

Found this old Dell Thread about upgrading the Processor on a DELL Inspiron 570. This is the reply from the Moderator of Dell Forum concerning upgrading that particular computer's motherboard: Solved: DELL INSPIRON 570 PROCESSOR UPGRADE - Dell Community 

Found this even better DELL Forum thread a few older than the above link that shows ALL the compatible CPU's for the Dell Inspiron 570:Dell Inspiron 570 CPU/Processor Upgrade possible? - Dell Community 

0 Likes

I have an Inspiron 570 with an Athlon II x2 250.  I do not know much about CPUs. I would like to swap it out for the best CPU that will work in the Inspiron 570 without making any modifications to the case or anything like that.  In that case, are the AMD Phenom 9750 or 9450E better than the Athlon II x2 250?

I found a website that compared the Athlon II x2 250 to the Phenom 9750 and 9450E. It said that the Athlon was better for inslge-threaded applications and the Phenom better for multi-threaded.  I do not know if most modern applications are single or multi-threaded. I am not interested in games. I just want to run my machine operating system (Linux Mint) with the best cpu possible for my old computer.

Thanks so much for any help!

0 Likes

in a couple of previous posts, I posted images from Dell Forum showing which processors were tested to be compatible with your Dell computer.

Your Dell motherboard, according to those images, supports processors with up to 4 cores only. Best suggestion I have is to open a Dell Support ticket and ask them if the processor you want to install will work on your computer.

0 Likes

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Yes. I saw your post regarding which processors would work in the Dell Inspiron 570.  I tried to research them, but I can't find out which is the best one of the bunch.  Can you tell me which processor on that list is the best and if it is better than my current Athlon II x2 250?  Thanks for any further help!

0 Likes

inspiron570_user wrote:

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Yes. I saw your post regarding which processors would work in the Dell Inspiron 570.  I tried to research them, but I can't find out which is the best one of the bunch.  Can you tell me which processor on that list is the best and if it is better than my current Athlon II x2 250?  Thanks for any further help!

Unfortunately Dell et all, do not publish such specifications.

This is why DIY machines are popular as components are easily replaced ranging from processors to RAM within the hardware configuration

0 Likes

Thank you for your reply.  Are you saying that it is not possible to independently say that one processor is better than another? For example the Athlon II x2 250  versus the AMD Phenom X4 Quad Core 9450E / 9750 ?

0 Likes

The Phenom 9450E / 9750 has more L3 cache which will improve overall performance.

A new basic ATX chassis like the one I have is $79 new. A good PSU will cost more but lower cost alternatives are low cost.

Modern AM4 motherboards are not expensive and the bottom Athlon 200GE is better than your old CPU and it has Vega 3 graphics which mean a video card is optional.

DDR4 is quite cheap now. 

So instead of flogging a dead horse, start accumulating parts for a new box

0 Likes

I would be cautious not so much for the CPU compatibility but for thermal management as Dell only supports 90W processors.

A bigger fan would probably work fine as long as there are lots of chassis fans to remove the extra heat

0 Likes

Ty

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

0 Likes