cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

rchoffert
Journeyman III

How to tell if the CPU is bad

One of the four new computers that I just recently built stopped working. It has a Gigabyte B650M Aorus Elite AX motherboard, Corsair 5200 Expo RAM, MSI RX 6650XT GPU, along with the Ryzen 7700x and Thermalright Peerless Assassin cooler. The system worked perfectly for about a month on my testing work bench as I got everything set up and running. When I moved the system to my desk and plugged it in, it wouldn't boot. The CPU and RAM LEDs on the motherboard would both come on. Originally the fans and case LEDs would turn on but after trying to cycle the power a few times that even stopped working. I ended up sending the motherboard back to Gigabyte under warranty. I just received it back so I reassembled everything. When I plug it in and flip the switch on the power supply, the little red CPU LED instantly comes on. I try to turn on the PC and I get absolutely nothing just like before I sent the motherboard in.

Now that you have the back story, is there a way to test the CPU to see if it is bad or if it is still the motherboard?

0 Likes
2 Replies
Koyote7667
Challenger

Sounds more like a memory or initializing thing to me. If it was working before you moved it, .... Then i think you have some other smaller issue. 

EDIT- And ya, put the cpu or whatever you think is "bad" in one of the other 4 rigs. I bet it boots fine. 

0 Likes

If you just have installed on the Motherboard the Ryzen processor and no other hardware except the PSU and the Motherboard's CPU Trouble LED lights up and doesn't change would indicate something is wrong with the Processor or motherboard.

Normally, with just the Motherboard, PSU, & CPU installed, the Motherboard's Trouble LED (CPU, RAM, GPU, SYSTEM) light up the CPU Trouble LED momentarily while BIOS is testing the CPU out. Once the CPU passes the BIOS Test at Startup, the CPU Trouble LED light would go off and the RAM Trouble LED would light up since there is no RAM installed.

Which then you would install one stick of RAM and see if the RAM Trouble LED would go off and the GPU or SYSTEM Trouble LED would light up and so forth.

NOTE: By the way the original owner of the AMD Processor has a 3 year AMD Warranty on it. So it might be a good idea to open a AMD Warranty to see if it needs to be RMAed to be checked from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Under "Product Type" select "Processor" and then under "Category" select "Warranty"

0 Likes