cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mackbolan777
Forerunner

Re: Help Just upgraded from Ryzen 1600 to 3700X and I'm stuck in a boot loop

That's why I had my own sales/repair business. I chose to ignore the irrelevant RAM/QVL because it doesn't matter when changing CPU architecture, the BIOS was changed, heck it had a "brain transplant" and is nothing like a stock B350 board at this point. DRAM Calc guesses nothing. It uses equations that I don't care to list because they will take up more space and confuse the OP. There is no "guessing" at RAM. The timings and settings I gave will work if the CPU is supported by said board. We've pretty much established it's not going to work, however it could be not enough juice. Hence, I told OP to go under advanced and set the CPU to "motherboard max", knowing the CPU can then ask for the proper amount of current.

The manufacturer put out a BIOS update that will or should allow a Ryzen 3000 to work. There is no RAM table of timings in the BIOS on any board. There's "basic" sub timings but they all read the SPD chip on the stick. So whatever is programmed into the SPD is called a JDEC spec. The board could be improperly reading the SPD, which is why I gave "compatible" figures for 3200 Hynix RAM. Those numbers will work on 90-95% of RAM that is 2400-3466.

I would never spout information that would be harmful or waste the OP's time on purpose after running a business for 20+ years.

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Kudos
mackbolan777
Forerunner

In advanced, there should be a power setting for the cPU where the PBO stuff is. Whether it's LLC or individual watt or amp settings, those need to be set either manual, which means put a high number in because the CPU will only pull the watts/amps it needs no matter what is there. Optimally, it will have a page where you can select "manual power" and there should be like 6 settings. An option instead of entering a number should be "motherboard" or "motherboard max" for the top setting. That's the only one to mess with. Scalar can be auto, PBO can be on/off but no "ECO" mode on.

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Kudos
pokester
MVP

I already said you can think whatever you want. I doubt anything I could say would change your opinion. 

JDEC specs only apply to base clocks. XMP or DOCP are overclocks, they are pulled yes from information on the memory. That doesn't mean it works or applies the right timings. That is the whole point of why qvl lists exist. So that you know what memory is qualified with the board. If always could pull it correctly from the memory you wouldn't have any validation lists. It would be pointless. 

The first gen AMD boards were/are super picky on ram. 

I would get the timings from the manufacturer and go from there.

Dram calculator is a great tool. I have used it a lot. I have also had plenty of times where it gives me numbers that don't work. And you just try another mix. If you have always had it work with whatever it gives you, you are more lucky than me. From what I have seen others say about it I would sum it up with, the usefulness of Ryzen DRAM Calculator can be hit and miss. Some people have great success with it while others can't get any use out of it at all. If it wasn't a guess there would only be one way to calculate and only one right answer. But no, there are several ways to calculate going from safe to do I feel lucky. Tuning is guessing, dram calculator is just a good educated guesser. You can call it whatever term makes you happy.

You are welcome to think, do or recommend whatever. So am I. And the OP can follow whatever advise they want to try. Luckily it won't really hurt to try all of it until they find something that works. About the worst that can happen is that they have to reset the bios.

I never questioned you being a professional. I am sure you are and glad to hear you are successful. I am sure you have lots of tried and true methods that work for you. For most end users, especially the novices, yes QVL (and those get updated for every CPU generation) the board supports, manuals, default settings and ease of use are all pretty important things. Many boards support some memory on one processor and not another. Some boards support 4 sticks but only 2 with another processor. No amount of Dram Calculator usage is likely to change that, but yes it is possible you can find numbers that work. Most users don't want to use dram calculators, overclock beyond what PBO and DOCP/XMP brings them. They just want to turn their computer on and have it work right. 99.99% of the time using defaults or manually entering the defaults gets the job done with the path of least resistance.

0 Kudos