Processors

Alcohero
Adept I

Help Just upgraded from Ryzen 1600 to 3700X and I'm stuck in a boot loop

PC specs:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • MB: Asus Prime B350-Plus
  • GPU: ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1060 6GB AMP! Edition
  • RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8GB DDR4 (2400MHz at stock)
  • SSD: Samsung 850 evo 250GB
  • PSU: 550W EVGA SuperNOVA G3 80+

As the title says, my PC keeps restarting, long before Windows lockscreen pops up. I can get into BIOS, and when I undervolt the CPU at some minimal offset and ratio less than 36 (34 is the highest I tried, didn't bother since it won't even run 36) I can get into the Windows. I've tried clearing CMOS, flashing different BIOS version, updating chipset drivers, I even reinstalled the Windows, but nothing helped. Tried with only 1 stick of ram, same results. Also, mouse cursor is laggy in bios compared to when 1600 was installed.

At this point I have no clue what is the problem and I need some help.

0 Kudos
32 Replies
Kamil7707
Adept I

Re: Help Just upgraded from Ryzen 1600 to 3700X and I'm stuck in a boot loop

A lot of people tend not to go from 300 series board to Zen 2 because of the headache that comes with it. that's all I got.

0 Kudos
mackbolan777
Forerunner

According to Asus you need BIOS 5602 to run that CPU, prior was 4208. PRIME B350-PLUS CPU Support | Motherboards | ASUS USA

That link takes you right to it unless you have that version. The old CPU is a different technology, so Windows would need to be reinstalled anyway. That RAM should be 3200? Which ever it is, try DOCP or enter the values off the sticker or box manually via Ai Tweaker. 

If there's an Infinity Fabric setting (FCLK) set that to half the RAM speed, no higher than 1800. So if you have 2400 RAM set it to 1200, if it's 3200 set it to 1600. Leave the CPU voltage stock. Looking at the manual, I didn't see an FCLK or IF setting but the update might have it.

Of course make sure the CPU cooler is on right with the right amount of paste. Whatever you do, make sure all is right in BIOS with the SSD disconnected. Then when it's posting correctly and things look correct under the "hardware info" part of BIOS, like temps, voltages, etc. Shutdown, plug the SSD in and install the OS.

I mean you can try to shortcut if you already got Windows to reinstall from scratch by just disconnecting the SSD and doing what I said in BIOS. Then plug it in and try to boot up. I'd just redo it to be on the safe side. All else fails, that board isn't the best for a 3700x. You really need a 450 or better, recommend a B550. The PSU is ok, but I never use less than a 650W Bronze or better.

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Kudos
Alcohero
Adept I

I've already tried both DOCP and manually entering timings and speed, also tried it with the 3200MHz OC that I've been running with 1600.

Just tried setting FCLK as you said, nothing changes. CPU cooler came with pre applied thermal paste, so that shouldn't be an issue. I will try removing it and installing it again, just in case.

About the voltages, I've heard it can go up to 1.5V when PBO-ing, but it's reading 1.35-1.5 all the time in the BIOS, I was and still am concerned about that.

0 Kudos
elstaci
MVP

If you are using the same RAM for both the 1600 & 3700X then you need to go to the Motherboard's QVL list for Matisse Processors and see if your RAM is listed as being compatible.

It is possible your RAM is compatible with the 1600 but not the 3700X processor.

EDIT: Asus Motherboard QVL List only for processors 1xxx & 2xxx. So you need to look at the 2xxx QVL List to see if your RAM is listed. 

Did  go to Kingston Memory Finder and all the RAM listed for your motherboard are 2666 Mhz. Either as single RAM Modules or as 2 x 8GB Sets or higher sets.

Don't know why it doesn't list any other speeds besides 2666 Mhz.

Alcohero
Adept I

Can you give me a link where you searched? This pdf is listed for my motherboard on ASUS website: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_X370-PRO/Memory-QVL-for-AMD-Ryzen-2000-Series-...

My sticks are HX424C15FB2/8. It should be listed on the link above.

0 Kudos
elstaci
MVP

I does seem to list your RAM Part number mainly as a Set of 2 or 4 Modules or a 16GB Module. But should be compatible.

Screenshot 2020-11-26 174852.png

Seems like your Part Number is for just a single RAM module and not a set. You should have purchased a Set instead. But it should still work since they are identical modules.

But at Kingston Memory Finder for your Motherboard it just lists RAM Speeds of 2666 Mhz for some reason and no other speeds are listed:

https://www.kingston.com/unitedstates/us/memory/search?model=96069&devicetype=7&mfr=ASU&line=PRIME%2...

Went to AMD Recommended RAM Memory for Ryzen 3xxx Processors and here is the list for 2400 Mhz for Kingston RAM Memory:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-compatible-memory/ready-for-3rd-gen-amd-ryzen

I noticed that all have C16 and above and not C15 in their RAM Part Number.

To clear up the confusion I would suggest you open a Kingston Support ticket and ask them if your RAM Part number is compatible with your motherboard and Rzyen 7 3700X Processor.

misterj
Exemplar

Alcohero, 550Watt power supply is not sufficient for your 3700X.  If you did not install a fresh copy of W10 after processor change then you must do that.  It sounds like you have memory problems also, probably not boot problem though.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

0 Kudos
oRaNge___
Journeyman III

Dear mr. John please read the post completely next time, he said he installed a fresh copy of Windows, and 550W PSU is more then enough to support this kind of a system.

Good luck and enjoy, Jake.

Alcohero
Adept I

I don't see my RAM at Ryzen compatible memory. And as you said, at Kingston website it's only 2666MHz for some reason. I just sent emails to both Asus and Kingston. Thanks for the help. Will post an update if something changes.