Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

jmorales
Adept I

Heat Dissipation

Good afternoon,

I am working with the AMD Ryzen Embedded R1606G, within the IMB-R1000 Mini-ITX Motherboard of ASRock Industrial in a project that will have this working continuously inside an IP66 or 67 Box, enclosed, which means airtight. 
It comes with a fan and heatsinks but I am afraid it wont be of much help as there will be other components inside and air wont be circulating, so it will just be kept and getting hotter as time goes by. 
I was thinking that, perhaps, the best idea would be to get rid of the fans and heatsinks and put some thermal paste or pad over it and connect it through heat pipes to the enclosure's inner walls and dissipate it outwards by conductivity alone (as it will count with heat sinks on the outter walls).
Any better ideas or thoughts? 
Will it be catastrophic or should it work good enough?
I attach a screenshot of how it comes assembled on the motherboard. 
Excuse me if it lacks information or details are not clearly explained.

Thanks 

0 Likes
8 Replies

I do not get the desire for some pint sized rig. I use an EATX HAF 932 which keeps my small fortune in hardware safe. My rig cannot even get warm except when the weather is really hot. I have giant 230mm fans.

So looking at your rig, I suspect it will not last long compared to mine. Need air flow to cool hardware or the machine will bake itself eventually.

It should not be working at its fully capacity the whole time, but yes, I am still worried it will end up heating up the box's inside too much. It is an automated control system in a kind of rough environment so there is no way we can give it air flow and keep it alive for too long, plus, it must stay working for months or years continuously. 

0 Likes
fyrel
Miniboss

Heat conduction would probably work if the boxes are submerged.

I assume they are at least likely to get wet considering your talking about using IP66/67.

Conducting the heat away from the CPU will work for a while but you will still need some method of removing heat from the case once you have conducted it there otherwise it will still overheat eventually.

fyrel wrote:

Heat conduction would probably work if the boxes are submerged.

I assume they are at least likely to get wet considering your talking about using IP66/67.

Conducting the heat away from the CPU will work for a while but you will still need some method of removing heat from the case once you have conducted it there otherwise it will still overheat eventually.

Well there is always my personal favorite, liquid nitrogen. It's not conductive so it can cool a rig but the air has way too much moisture to be practical.

Yes the plan is to conduct it both, directly outside with heat pipes through little holes and to the inner walls of the metallic enclosure, so it conducts outwards and dissipate it with forced convection through heat sinks. It is an automated control system so it won't have anyone working around, it have to resist on its own. What I mean is the liquid nitrogen won't do it, as it should be able to stand working for months, 24/7

I am trying to see if we could lower it to IP64 or 65 as it might be splashed and so on, but not really sinked, although I dont think it will change much for the dissipation problem. Perhaps, it would be even better to have it 66/67 and ensure that water is arround it to help it cool down, or have it on an extra plate so it stands on liquid

0 Likes

I believe the only solution for that PC with a TDP possibly in excess of 25w (CPU 12-25w plus motherboard) would be immersion cooling, a solution applied to exceedingly high voltage industrial systems as well as by home DIYers for home systems, but that kind of setup probably exceeds the cost and complexity caps you had in mind.

Indeed, too expensive for a first prototype. But I am thinking of the possibility of installing a deep plate just under it so water can accumulate and the outter wall of the walls will have some extra help cooling down.

0 Likes

in warmer nations, water coolers are popular. These need a suitable large chassis as well.

not sure how many pesos you have in el banco

0 Likes