Did you mean: 

Processors

LavenderGooms
Journeyman III

G.Skill not OC to rated 6000 MHZ

I am currently running

ASUS B650E-F ROG STRIX GAMING WIFI AMD AM5 ATX Motherboard

Ryzen 9 7900X Raphael AM5 4.7GHz 12-Core Boxed Processor

G.Skill Flare X5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000 CL36 - F5-6000J3636F16GX2-FX5

I have been working on getting this overclocked to 6000, however I am currently locked at 5800. I am using ASUS auto OC Expo Tweaked and manually changed the speed from 6000 to 5800. I have tried to manually change everything in settings, I tried using Ryzen Master and a preset profile to OC the memory but nothing is working. From what I can tell it just seems to be G.skill screwing the pooch on this, and the only way for me to get an actual functional memory kit is throwing this trash where it belongs and buying literally anything else. It was free with a Microcenter bundle, they love throwing worthless products that don't work and no one wants into a bundle with good things and saying hey its savings right? But if I can get this kit to work id rather do that. I just updated my bios to the newest version which was supposed to have more ram compatibility, but so far it has made it worse. (pre-bios update I managed to use ryzen master profile to sorta get 6000 to be stable) 

Does anyone have any ideas on what I need to start with to test out a stable 6000 OC. or did anyone else buy the bundle and figure out how to get 6000 stable. Literally any ideas will help, if anyone knows that it just doesn't work and G.Skill is just bad, please tell me that too so I can stop wasting hours clearing my cmos over and over.

0 Likes
6 Replies
AdrianP
Adept II

Use "EXPO I" instead of "EXPO Tweaked". Return/RMA the RAM if you still can't get 6000.

By the way, EXPO doesn't guarantee stability. Only JEDEC within the platform spec (5200 2xSR for Zen 4) is guaranteed stable.

0 Likes
bestchriss
Adept I

0 Likes
elpatron2
Journeyman III

I have this same 32GB RAM @6000 on Gigabyte B650I. It was really easy to turn on EXPO and set to EXPO 1 profile in the BIOS. No issues as of yet. Sorry if I’m not much help but maybe open a support ticket with MSI

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

It would seem that that "free" Micro Center Samsung kit is hit and miss .. I have the Gskill Flare X5 6000 CAS36 2x16GB kit and it had issues booting on both an ASRock B650E Steel Legend and a Gigabyte B650m Aorus Elite AX (7950x & 7600 CPU's)

It would take some tinkering to get EXPO to stick and boot .. once I actually got into Windows, it was 100% stable .. but IF I had to reboot from a Windows or driver update or anything .. it took some tinkering to get it to boot back into Windows

I've since switched both setups to Gskill Ripjaw S5's (Hynix kits) and not a single issue 

To answer your question though .. I'd make all my other tweaks first in the BIOS .. save and exit .. and then enable EXPO and it had a better chance of sticking and getting into Windows when I was messing with that kit

I haven't tried them on the newest BIOS's for either board though, maybe they'll work ok now .. don't know

Be sure your BIOS is up to date

ThreeDee PC specs
Koyote7667
Challenger

As above, make sure your board bios is latest, then put on expo, enjoy. It should be two click easy. 

0 Likes
Cytofusion
Adept I

It may not be the fault of the memory. My 7950X can’t run any brand or model of memory stable over 4800mhz (for reasons I still can’t figure out). I have swapped between half a dozen different kits and none of them are even capable of rebooting when clocked above 4800mhz. And I know for a fact it’s the CPU as I have also literally swapped out every single hardware component except the CPU and the problem is still there every time. Ryzen 7000 is in a strange place with OC memory for some reason and it’s incredibly frustrating. 

0 Likes