cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

verscotchi
Adept II

FX 9590 downclocked, Temps aren't looking so good, is it the PSU or could it be something else? (100% util in any game)

• Issue Description: I've recently made the decision to downclock my FX 9590 due to insufficient power draw from my current 600W EVGA GD unit, and now I'm running my CPU at 100% about 2 min any game whether it be Minecraft, R6 Siege, etc. I want to know if upgrading my PSU will fix my issue, because my thermals don't seem that great either. (15-20c thermal margin under load)
  • Hardware: CPU: FX 9590, CPU Cooler: H100X AIO, MOBO: Asrock 990FX Extreme 9, GPU: GTX 970, Case: Thermaltake S71 Urban, Storage: PNY 120gb SSD, WD 500gb HDD.
  • Any help is appreciated on this topic, been sitting on it for 2 weeks now.
0 Likes
1 Solution

The GTX970 requires a minimum PSU wattage of 500 watts while your FX 9590 TDP is 220 Watts.

The maximum Operating Temperature of your Processor is 57C. So if the temperatures don't go above 57C you are within Operating temperatures.

The Power consumption of the FX 9590 at full load using OCCT is 350 Watts according to this Tech Site review: 2014 Test Setup and System Benchmarks - AMD’s 5 GHz Turbo CPU in Retail: The FX-9590 and ASRock 990F... 

So it is possible under very heavy CPU Loads and GPU Loads it may come near or pass your PSU ability to give proper power. That is where OCCT PSU Test will prove by running it.

I would suggest you restore your FX9590 back to its default settings and then download OCCT.

OCCT is a free diagnostic that checks PSU by stressing it.  This is the only Diagnostic software that checks and stresses the PSU.

Download the OCCT.  Run the CPU Stress test first and see if it crashes or passes after about 45 - 1 hour of testing. During the Testing you can keep an eye on the PSU outputs 3.3/5.0/12 Vdc. and the CPU's load and temperatures and other pertinent info.

If it crashes try to find out what the PSU outputs were. They should be within 5% tolerance of each reference voltages. Also check to see if it crashed due to overheating which might indicate something is wrong with your AIO CPU Cooler.

IF the CPU Stress test passes now run the PSU Stress test. This test basically runs both the CPU and GPU Stress tests at the same time putting maximum stress on the PSU.

While running keep an eye on the PSU's Outputs again and on temperatures and loads. If it crashes immediately and shuts down you need to look at the test results to see why it crashed. Did it crash due to Overheating or PSU voltages being out of tolerances?

If you don't want to use OCCT you can download one of the free Hardware Monitoring software that shows PSU outputs. Run a game and check the Monitoring software for any unusual temperatures or voltages.

View solution in original post

35 Replies