cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ckay_77
Adept I

Did anyone CPU die/crash after Windows 11 install?

So I have a ryzen 9 3900XT and I installed windows 11 as soon as it came out with my Asus TUF x570 PLUS board.  Within 2 weeks I had BSOD errors and ever since then I wasn't able to reboot into windows.  I was able to install LINUX and work with it just fine, but windows was a NO GO.  I RMA'ed by the motherboard and they replaced it and it came back and I still had the same problem.  I checked every component and finally took it to a computer shop to test the CPU.  Low and behold they said my CPU was defective, my CPU is only a year old.  I have RMA'Ed it and waiting for an answer from AMD.  Has anyone had similar issues?  How long did your RMA process take?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Thank you for all the replies.  Mine would load I to Linux just fine, but not even think a bout windows.  It was the strangest thing I've ever seen.  I had many people confused just as I was.  AMD agreed my CPU was defective and is sending me a new one, thank goodness! Hopefully all works after I get it all put back together!  I won't install win 11 for sure!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies

"I installed windows 11 as soon as it came out" - ouch, what a popular bad decision you've made. I don't understand the rush in some people to screw their stable system up with a barely tested/functioning one on purpose.

W10Pro (22H2)|Kingston A400 240G|ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 (L2.71)|Ryzen 5 5600|ID-Cooling SE-225-XT Black V2|nVidia RTX 3070 FE 8Gb|XPG GAMMIX D10 [2x8GB] DDR4 3200MHz (XMP)|DeepCool PK700D

i didn't say it was smart.  I asked a question.  I don't think it should have caused my CPU to die within 2 weeks of installing windows 11.

0 Likes

Perhaps the CPU was defective from the very beginning, but it was W11 that touched a bad sector which caused all sorts of problems in your system. It might be a combination of different and seemingly unrelated conditions/circumstances. Huh, it might be cosmic dust, for all we know  (it's a real thing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaZ_RSt0KP8 [Veritasium's video about it]). 

W10Pro (22H2)|Kingston A400 240G|ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 (L2.71)|Ryzen 5 5600|ID-Cooling SE-225-XT Black V2|nVidia RTX 3070 FE 8Gb|XPG GAMMIX D10 [2x8GB] DDR4 3200MHz (XMP)|DeepCool PK700D
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

I've been doing some research on windows 11 specifically on their AMD CPU/APU/GPU support.

Honestly there is a lot of ambiguous information on the Microsoft Support Site about AMD support. 

My R7 2700x is on their support list but every PC builder I've spoken to so far has reported no posts freeze ups after 10 to 15 minutes of PC usage or they get a message saying no CPU detected.

I don't know if its a rumor or a fact but I've come across legal channels that say Microsoft is under external investigation regarding windows 11 for possible false advertising and fraudulent and purposeful misleading documentation in regards to their AMD support.

Even running a check on my system in windows 10 to see if its ready for windows 11 says my PC does not meet requirements to run Windows 11. Yet on their support site my hardware meets and exceeds their hardware requirements.

I swear personally its like Vista all over again only worse.   

vialli100
Forerunner

I also installed win 11 through the beta channel as soon as I could..

Maybe i'm lucky but not one bit of trouble..

Windows 11 would not have broken your CPU, there must have been a problem before..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
drpluto
Adept III

ryzen 7 5800 , asrock taichi x570 mobo with a 1080 gpu .. no problems with windows 11 except if the computer goes to sleep mode  it doesn't wake up .. i have to restart the computer 

gamesjmdog
Adept I

My 2700x lost 4 of it's cores and would only boot on 4,  I had to get a rma about a year ish, before the warranty was up.

windows 10 could be the issue, I think due to the failure of my Radeon vii it caused the issue,  though, I rmaed the gpu twice, and got back one that had the same issue, then the next one was kind of fine.

I think, I still have issues with the gpu, more stress on the cpu all my cpu and gpu issues started when windows 10 came out with that weird variable refresh rate thing or whatever. 2018-2020.

New bios update 2021-2022 for 5000 series cpus fixed some of the cpu issues, I had but not all of them. 

0 Likes

Thank you for all the replies.  Mine would load I to Linux just fine, but not even think a bout windows.  It was the strangest thing I've ever seen.  I had many people confused just as I was.  AMD agreed my CPU was defective and is sending me a new one, thank goodness! Hopefully all works after I get it all put back together!  I won't install win 11 for sure!

0 Likes

There is no problem with Windows 11..

I have had it on my PC since the Beta came out..

Millions of people are running it without any problems..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes