cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

alwkh
Adept I

CPU Ryzen 5 3600x: High temperature in its idle state?

I just build my new pc with this CPU and i was wondering whether or not its normal to have around 55 degrees without any load on it, no games running in the background just straight from the boot up. 

Suppose this is not normal how do i reduce this or optimize it to make the temperature go down?

9 Replies

Are you using the Stock CPU Cooler Wraith Spire?

Temperature at idle going to 95C is definitely not normal and indicates that you either have a defective CPU Cooler or you installed it incorrectly.

Did you remove the protective film from the CPU Cooler heat sink before installing it?

Is the CPU Cooler tightly installed and making good even contact with the CPU surface?

The CPU Cooler doesn't wiggle and is tight on the processor?

The CPU Cooler Fan is running at maximum and the air flow is not obstructed in any way?

Remove the side panel of your computer case where the CPU Cooler is located and see if the temps go down. If the Temps does down quite a bit then you have poor air circulation in your computer case.

Also power on the computer and very carefully press down on the CPU Cooler and see the temps go down.  If by carefully pressing down on the CPU Cooler, the Processor's temps immediately goes down that indicates you have the CPU Cooler installed incorrectly and it isn't tight on the CPU.

Did you apply the Thermal Paste correctly, not too much?

You might want to upgrade the Stock CPU Cooler with a stronger CPU Cooler like AIO CPU Cooler or a High Quality powerful Air CPU Cooler.

EDIT: I notice that several Users have opened threads concerning the same Ryzen processor running very hot also.  I would also open a AMD Service Request (Official AMD SUPPORT) and see what they recommend from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

Like elstaci said,

first check cpu cooler is correctly installed with not to much thermal past if you add it. If you have stock cpu cooler also check the thermal past.

On cpu fan profile on bios or software, try to up fan speed more quickly.

30% from 0 to 30°C

50% from 30 to 40°C

75% from 40 to 50°C

100% above 50°C

for try and check temps (and noise).

If you can stay below 50°C, check for better cpu cooler like Noctua NH-D15S if you can.

Thank you very much for taking time to respond to my issue.

I will try to apply this. But also i think i will buy a new CPU cooler for the better.

0 Likes

I kinda reduced my CPU temp to around 48 degrees by setting my power plan option to high performance. I also have installed the CPU cooler correctly. I will try to take off my side panel this afternoon and i will update you, to see if my airflow isn't obstructed (fans are not spinning at maximum speed). Also i think the thermal paste that i have applied was just right, due the fact that i was really careful, because this was my first PC that i have ever build.

But in conclusion i think i will buy a new CPU cooler for more effective work and hopefully more quiet work.

0 Likes

UPDATE:

I have taken off my side panel and the CPU temps won't change and when i have put pressure on the CPU cooler the temps won't change.

0 Likes

Okay, I see you changed your original question from 95C to 55C at idle. That is a huge difference and changes everything I said earlier.

55C is a little high for idle. Most likely when you replace the CPU Cooler with a stronger one the temps should go down.

0 Likes

Thank you very much for your advice and time.

I will definitely buy a new CPU cooler.

If you are using the cooler that came with the processor check the surface for flushness. There have been many threads where users have shown that the stock cooler's heat pipes are not flush with the heatsink. This will keep it from getting good contact. 

I use a 212 evo as I don't feel the AMD coolers are good enough even when working right. My idle speeds are about 34c and under full load about 76c. 

I was already looking for an alternative for the stock cooler and found out the 212 evo aswell. But thanks for the recommendation anyway .

0 Likes