cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ennixx
Journeyman III

CPU drops frequency to minimum while gaming if running multimedia in web browser

Given:

• OMEN by HP Laptop 16-c0040u: Ryzen 7 5800h, RTX 3070 laptop, 16 GB RAM. 
  • Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Issue:

When playing any 3d game AND something is running on the background in web browser (for instance YouTube, actually any site that uses hardware acceleration) CPU abruptly drops frequency to 0.38 GHz. If switch windows to browser and play with tabs, frequency goes back to 3.7 GHz. If browser is not launched, everything works normally. Moreover, if some simple webpage is opened in the browser, e.g. Google start page, the issue cannot be replicated as well.

What was done and did not help:

• All drivers (Nvidia, AMD integrated graphics, actually I installed all drivers were present for my Laptop model) were reinstalled from official HP site.
  • BIOS was updated from HP official site
  • Both graphical drivers were reinstalled from official Nvidia and AMD site.
  • Playing around Windows high performance mode, minimal CPU power, etc.
  • Reinstalling web browsers.

Where the issue cannot be found:

• Thermal throttling - all temps are good, any stability test (CPU, GPU, any combinations) runs normally
  • Power throttling - battery health is good, laptop is plugged in with its original 230W power supply when playing

It is only replicated with both conditions 1. running something 3d and 2. running multimedia in web.

Here's a monitor snapshot with the issue:

frequency drops to 0.38frequency drops to 0.38

0 Likes
6 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

ennixx, please try Firefox and post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) when in the middle of the problem.  Why do you have virtualization enabled. Are you using it? Seems like I have seen posts about turning acceleration off in Chrome. Have you tried that? In my opinion, only BIOS should be DLed from the MB site (laptop vendor in your case). Please go here to get all your AMD drivers. RM may not install on your mobile processor. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Hello misterj. Thanks a lot for the answer.

Firefox produces the same issue. Ryzen Master is incompatible with 5800h. Virtualization is enabled for Virtualbox. Do you think it somehow can be related?

Yes, if disable hardware acceleration, the issue is no longer reproducible, however, that still doesn't seem to be a proper solution of a problem for me.

BIOS is updated for the latest version from HP.

0 Likes

ennixx, Virtualization should not be a problem. I have it running now. If disabling acceleration cures your problem and does not cause other problems, then it is a valid solution especially when it is a know problem. Please search the Internet for the reference. If it is Chrome, then ask them when will they have a solution. Please let us know what you find. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

misterj, disabling hardware acceleration drastically affects internet browsing experience, e.g. playing video highly loads CPU and no more smooth, page scrolls not smoothly, many effects on webpages that use GPU as main processing unit may not play well, etc. So hardware acceleration in web browser is not something very optional.

Also, it's not only a Chrome thing, Firefox works in the same manner.

0 Likes

ennixx, please see here for one example of many. I do not think this is an AMD problem. You may contact AMD here. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

@ennixx wrote:

Yes, if disable hardware acceleration, the issue is no longer reproducible, however, that still doesn't seem to be a proper solution of a problem for me.

If the problem does not occur while hardware acceleration is off, my recomendation is to seek assistance in nvidia forums, as your 3070 may be the problem.

Good Luck

The Englishman
0 Likes