cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

LiamWendell
Journeyman III

Compatible Ram

I have been looking for some parts for my friend and he already has the processor for which is a fx 4100. I was wondering what kind of ram and motherboard would be compatible because I was getting mixed information from online. 

0 Likes
3 Replies
Earnhardt
Grandmaster

That CPU was on the AM3 socket which is pretty old now and hard to find Mobo's/ram for anymore.Better to go with AM4 and Ryzen nowadays(or intel if that's your preference).Best to skip it.

0 Likes

I'm running an AM3 FX-4300 CPU at the moment while my Ryzen is away in the hopes of getting an RMA..

The motherboard is an ASUS M5497 Pro
RAM is  Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

You can find compatible 2nd hand motherboards and ram on the bay and other 2nd hand sites but......

....This is a 12 year old machine. It's only good for browsing the internet. Gaming is nigh on impossible.  So, as Earnhardt said, it would probably be advisable to try and persuade your friend to go up to AM4

If you really want to stick with that CPU, google AM3 motherboards that are compatible with the FX4100  - find a motherboard you want, then check it's QVL list for compatible RAM.

0 Likes

At this point I still wouldn't bother, find anything Ryzen and you will be much happier.AM3 is just to old now.

0 Likes