cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

soupladel
Adept II

CCD2 of 7950x performing worse on every core than CCD1

So i got my new kit yesterday of Asus Crosshair X670E Hero, &950x and 2x 16Gb Dominator Platinum DDR5 6000.

I got it all set up for the most part last night and in some initial testing, i have noticed that CCD2 wasn't reaching the same temperatures as CCD1 when running an all core test like cinebench r23.  Then i noticed, based on what HWInfo was reporting that in addition to the temperatures not being the same despite the same load, the max boost clock on CCD2 was also in the region of 250Mhz slower on every core.

I am using a Corsair H170i 420mm AIO as my cooler, but the version i have uses the existing AMD mounting mechanism of the hook type and i have to say it doesn't inspire me that the mount is particularly even, although it seems to be quite solid and secure.

So my question is, have i potentially lost on on the silicon lottery and just happened to have a CPU that, whilst performing relatively well, isnt living up to expectations on CCD2.  Or, is it likely the aforementioned mount is suspect and causing issues?

I have noticed that when at idle, CCD2 tends to sit around 5.4Ghz and CCD2 sits mostly around 3.6Ghz, occasionally up to 5.4Ghz.  If the mount was the problem, i would expect the hotter CCD to be the slower one when the reverse is true which leads me to believe that maybe its somehow not getting the right level of power?

40 Replies

So, on the basis we are currently resigned to the fact what we are seeing is expected, then next question i need to find answers to is exactly why the latest bios for my board is now limiting the max boost frequency of any of the cores to 5.5

0 Likes