cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

otherbright
Journeyman III

Can't load EXPO1 or EXPO2 profiles wo stability issues Ryzen 7 8700G KF560C36BBEK2-64 B650I AX

Hi,

Here is my config:

- CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 8700G

- MB: Gigabyte B650I AX (rev. 1.0) with F22b BIOS

- RAM: 2x32 GB DDR5 6000MT/S CL36 38 38 1.35V EXPO/XMP aka KF560C36BBEK2-64

I can't load EXPO1 or EXPO2 profiles without stability issues (I need to clear the bios settings to have a stable config again).

I tried both the BIOS settings, and the bios settings avalaible from AMD RYZEN MASTER.

Do you have an idea to solve this problem?

Cheers,

Jon

0 Likes
1 Solution

According your Gigabyte Support Motherboard QVL LIST for RAM MEMORY your specific RAM Part Number is incompatible with EXPO. It is verified only to work with XMP Mode: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B650I-AX-rev-10/support#support-memsup

Screenshot 2024-02-24 054214.png

You need to enable XMP and not EXPO mode for your RAM and now see if it is stable.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

According your Gigabyte Support Motherboard QVL LIST for RAM MEMORY your specific RAM Part Number is incompatible with EXPO. It is verified only to work with XMP Mode: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B650I-AX-rev-10/support#support-memsup

Screenshot 2024-02-24 054214.png

You need to enable XMP and not EXPO mode for your RAM and now see if it is stable.

otherbright
Journeyman III

Thank you very much pointing this, it completely passed through my radar.

The XMP2 profile is really stable, but not the XMP1 one.

I changed the CPU thermal dissipation system by a new one.

Now I want to lower the CPU frequency to lower the CPU power consumption (its one of my goal and not related to the fact it is producing less heat) knowing that I'm more interested by the framerate in game and the GPU than by the CPU frequency. Do you think it's doable? I started by disabling the Core Performance Boost.

Jon

0 Likes

When it comes to overclocking or underclocking a CPU or GPU it is best if some other experienced User help you with your question.

The 8600G does have a variable TDP setting which is in BIOS Settings as shown from AMD Specs:

AMD Configurable TDP (cTDP) 45-65W

Default TDP 65W

Max. Operating Temperature (Tjmax) 95°C

Changing the TDP rating of your processor from its default 65 Watts to its lowest setting of 45 Watts will make your processor run much cooler but might affect the performance slightly.

I would think enabling Core Performance Boost will help run you games better than with it off: https://www.howtogeek.com/what-is-cpu-boost-and-should-you-enable-it/

Should You Turn CPU Boost On or Off?

CPU boost provides a substantial performance boost without the need for an overclock. You can get most of your CPU's maximum performance without ever having to open the BIOS. Since it's all automatic and temperature-dependent, upgrading your CPU cooler leads to an automatic increase in performance up to the limit of the boost range.

What Is AMD Precision Boost Overdrive?

Don't get confused by the name AMD uses for their Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO) technology—this isn't the same as CPU boost. PBO increases the motherboard's power limit threshold. It allows the CPU to boost more aggressively within its specified limits than "stock" settings, but it won't exceed the maximum CPU boost clock.

For example, if your processor's Thermal Design Power (TDP) is 65W, it increases to 88W when you turn PBO on. In other words, PBO allows your processor to consume more power and generate more heat. If your CPU has a maximum boost of 4.2 GHz and you previously saw 3.8 GHz on all cores, you might reach 4.0 GHz after enabling PBO.

I recommend turning PBO on or setting it to auto if you have an aftermarket cooler or don't mind the extra fan noise. It's an easy way to increase your CPU performance with minimal risk.

0 Likes

Do not reduce your clocks or disable the PBO. That eventually leads to less performance, the same if you configure a custom PPT.

Start with negative offset undervolting. You may increase a little performance and reduce heat plus comsumption.

Remember the formula VxA=W

The Englishman