cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

gshutch
Journeyman III

Can I upgrade my computer's AMD Processor?

My current computer is: HP TG01-2003W Pavilion Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHZ AMD Radeon RX 5500 R4 GB, 32 GB RAM, 930 GB SSD, Win 11 Pro

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics 

Video: AMD Radeon RX 5500

I would like my computer to be better at running games.  There are some games that will not work and some that crash too often.

Is it possible to upgrade the processor to a faster AMD processor without making other changes?

Do I have to or should I change the video card also?

Please let me know your suggestions.

Thanks

1 Reply
Heilstein
Adept I

Hi there gshutch,

you shouldn't swap your prozessor out just yet. The 5600G in your system is fine for almost any game out today if its not running to hot in your HP prebuild. The limiting factor will be your graphics card, which isn't able to hold up to your CPUs performance in games.

On another note, it seems possible to me that the standard 310W powersupply in your HP prebuild could be the cause for your crashes. 65W CPU, 130W GPU and about 100W for everything else doesnt leave you with alot of headroom. This also limits the upgrades possible in your current PC alot, because your motherboard uses an unusual power connector, that standard powersupplies don't have, and most current low/midrange use a 8-Pin power-connector that would use too much power for your system.

My recommendation is to keep the system around for a while, and build a new PC with your old 5600G, RAM and SSD. So get a new PC-Case, CPU-Cooler (a 30$ one should be more than fine), AM4 Motherboard, 500-600W Power-Supply and either a 6600xt or 7600xt.

Hope this was helpful, and not too devastating.

0 Likes