cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

rfj47yh-322
Adept I

Can I adjust the video memory size with Ryzen 9 7900X3D with Radeon Graphics?

Hi,

I just setup my first AMD computer after 34 years with Intel.

The CPU is in an Asus Prime X670E-PRO WIFI m/Board. I have 64G of RAM.  Working as expected.

I am a user of Adobe After Effects and when I load this program a popup comes up telling me that Advanced (Mercury) 3D cannot be run.  I checked and the answer I got is "Mercury 3D requires at least 4GB VRAM, and on Windows it must support DirectX".

Is it possible to set aside 4GB of RAM on my setup?

Thanks

2 Solutions

The only place to add more vRAM to your IGPU is in BIOS Settings.

There should be settings for setting the vRAM to a higher amount depending on the amount of System RAM you have installed.

View solution in original post

Downloaded your Asus Motherboard BIOS Manual and you can set the vRAM for your IGPU to a Maximum of 4 GB: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/13MANUAL/PRIME_PROART_TUF_GAMING_AMD_AM5_Series_BIOS_EM_WEB_EN...

Screenshot 2023-12-22 135322.png

The UMA FRAME BUFFER SIZE, I believe, concerns the size of the vRAM for your IGPU.

You also have another BIOS Setting that can be useful to you concerning the Maximum CPU Temperature:

Screenshot 2023-12-22 135738.png

Your Ryzen 9 7900X3D Maximum Operating Temperature is 89c. So in BIOS I would set the Maximum Operating Temperature to 84c, as an example only, that way if your CPU Cooler is not working properly and the CPU temperature goes above 84c,  BIOS will let you know your CPU is overheating or shut the computer down. This way even though your Processor is not overheating at 84c but it will let you know that your CPU Cooling system is not working normally and for you to take a look at it. 

Or you can set it at 89c, which is fine too, but once it goes above 89c your processor is considered to be overheating and throttling is probably taking place.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

I found this with Google - https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics-cards/increase-vram/td-p/538890

Also please install latest DirectX from MS. Enjoy, John.

The only place to add more vRAM to your IGPU is in BIOS Settings.

There should be settings for setting the vRAM to a higher amount depending on the amount of System RAM you have installed.

If we are referring to the same place in the BIOS there is a limit of 1Gb.

0 Likes

Downloaded your Asus Motherboard BIOS Manual and you can set the vRAM for your IGPU to a Maximum of 4 GB: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/13MANUAL/PRIME_PROART_TUF_GAMING_AMD_AM5_Series_BIOS_EM_WEB_EN...

Screenshot 2023-12-22 135322.png

The UMA FRAME BUFFER SIZE, I believe, concerns the size of the vRAM for your IGPU.

You also have another BIOS Setting that can be useful to you concerning the Maximum CPU Temperature:

Screenshot 2023-12-22 135738.png

Your Ryzen 9 7900X3D Maximum Operating Temperature is 89c. So in BIOS I would set the Maximum Operating Temperature to 84c, as an example only, that way if your CPU Cooler is not working properly and the CPU temperature goes above 84c,  BIOS will let you know your CPU is overheating or shut the computer down. This way even though your Processor is not overheating at 84c but it will let you know that your CPU Cooling system is not working normally and for you to take a look at it. 

Or you can set it at 89c, which is fine too, but once it goes above 89c your processor is considered to be overheating and throttling is probably taking place.

I revise this claim, I did not notice the drop down list.  I set the value to 8G.