Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

DAVco4
Journeyman III

Buzzing noise from CPU when idle

Hello all,

I have recently completed a new build; everything is fine except I can hear a sort of electrical buzzing noise coming from the CPU area, but only when the machine is idle.

I found and followed this guide to enable the "processor idle disable" option in Windows 11 power settings - setting that option to "disable idle" stops the noise immediately, but now Windows performance manager reports that CPU usage is at 100% all of the time. AMD Ryzen Master also reports very high (although not 100% CPU usage) when set to "disable idle" (see attached images).

Fans aren't ramping up and temperatures aren't climbing, so I'm guessing this is just a reporting issue?

Is this a known issue, how can I stop this noise from happening and have correct CPU reporting?

CPU: AMD 7950x

Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 Gaming X AX

RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000Mhz

Disk: WD Black 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD

PSU: Corsair RM850

disable_idle.pngenable_idle.png

0 Likes
7 Replies
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

The buzzing noise might be VRM coil whine, not from the CPU itself. 

The Englishman

CPU and CPU sockets doesn't really have any components that would make any type of noise unless it is in the process of shorting out.

As mentioned by @johnnyenglish  the most likely place is the Motherboard VRM which does have components that can create Coil whine under high power.

I would also check the GPU or PSU which are other hardware that can generate Coil While.

DAVco4
Journeyman III

> Coil whine under high power.

As I mentioned, this only occurs when the processor enters idle mode and stops when under load. Disabling idle mode stops the noise from ever occurring.

I've attempted to record the sound itself to post here but I can't capture it above the sound of the fan (it's a lot more audible in real life) so the best I can do is describe it as a an electrical clicking/buzzing noise.

It may very well be the motherboard VRMs and I believe they are under a heatsink near the CPU socket. The noise is certainly around the CPU socket towards the top of the motherboard. 

0 Likes
DAVco4
Journeyman III

Having tried a second CPU, it appears that this is a motherboard issue

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

There are other mitigations that can be done in BIOS but to be honest with you, my coil whine so is inaudible that I'm not really bothered by it.

The three loudest things from my computer is the click clack from a mechanical keyboard, the mouse and the ticking clock on the wall, w8 that's not from the computer...

TLDR: If you feel its a big offender or deal breaker, open a ticket and RMA the board.

The Englishman
mctypec
Journeyman III

Hello! Have you solved this problem? Im having the same issue with my Gigabyte B650 X AX and amd 7700x. Tried to RMA but service center hasn't found any problems

I will comeback shortly and post here my audio examples

0 Likes
DAVco4
Journeyman III

Yes this was definitely the fault of the motherboard. Something to do with the power delivery on the motherboard. I tried a different CPU, removed GPU and as many peripherals as possible and had exactly the same problem. Swapped to a different motherboard (MSI MPG B650 CARBON WIFI - a bit more expensive than the Gigabyte but with apparently better power delivery) and I haven't encountered the problem again.

I RMA'd the Gigabyte back to the retailer who tested it and accepted the return although they did write that it was "overheating the CPU" in the comments. I'm not sure if this was a mistake or an automated/limited selection thing. I was definitely not seeing temperature issues.

0 Likes