cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Historiun
Journeyman III

Black screen when booting after Ryzen 5 5600x install

I recently bought a Ryzen 5 5600x to replace the Ryzen 5 1500x in my wife's computer. Ever since the install the computer will stay on, but only shows a black screen with nothing else. The motherboard is an ASRock Fatal1ty X370 gaming itx/ac. I upgraded to the bios version that the ASRock site recommended (7.20) before installing the CPU. After the install it will just go to the black screen. I have also reset the CMOS between each install. The original CPU still works in the system without issue. I even went so far as to return the 5600x and buy another 5600x, just in case the CPU itself was broken. It still does the same thing. I can't figure out why it won't post 

0 Likes
1 Reply
432hz
Adept III

A few things come to mind:

1. Did you install BIOS version 7.00 before installing 7.20? The instructions on the mobo's BIOS downloads page indicate this is a required step.
  2. Check that your current RAM is compatible with the 5600x on your mobo.
  3. Try removing 1 stick of RAM and booting
  4. When you boot with the 5600x, does the screen display anything at any point or is it only ever black?
  5. In BIOS, check the default / initial graphics output device. If it's set to 'Auto', consider setting it to the GPU.
  6. Try using a DisplayPort cable. There are compatibility issues with Safe Mode and HDMI.
  7. Try different ports on your GPU. Sometimes it will only output to 1 initially.
  8. Try the different HDMI ports on your mobo. Sometimes it will only output to 1 initially.
  9. Are you receiving any mobo status beeps / lights etc?
  10. Do you have Secure Boot enabled in the BIOS? Perhaps this must be disabled before swapping a CPU.

RX 6800 • Intel 12600k • G.Skill 6000 32GB • MSI B760M Mortar
0 Likes