cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

wagoozen
Adept I

AMD x58003xd is randomly slowly comming to a halt

Since I switch my x5800 to a x5800x3d my system ran randomly freezes/ stops working, not in one go like it suddenly stops but within 10 seconds applications stops responding.
Mostly noticable is MSFS2020 and then the browsers, discord. 

I updated all the drivers for my card and for my mainboard. The mainboard i use is a ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E Gaming with bios version 5003
The only settings i change is XMP profile and curve optimizer -20.

First i thought it has to do with audo, but i can rule that out now.

Anyone have ideas how to approuch this issue, or anyone familiar with the sympthons.

0 Likes
21 Replies
FunkZ
Paragon

You may need to adjust Curve Optimizer after changing the CPU, the extra cache could need more juice. Try going up to -15

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes

Thanks FunkZ, i will try that.

0 Likes

Got a freeze again without msfs2020 just edge. This one is driving me crazy.

I must say i use rdp to my laptop and have to audio played on my bluethooth headset connected to my main pc. the one with he x5800x3d

0 Likes

This is definitely a strange problem. I found this other user thread that describes a similar scenario and they apparently traced the problem to their Asus motherboard:

https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/ryzen-5800x3d-system-freezes-at-idle/td-p/578465

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

wagoozen, please post a complete list of your parts and OS. If you did not do a fresh install of Windows when changing your processor including formatting your C disk, please do. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Ok i have to plan this and work it out. but yeah will do the reinstall en post the list here. give me some time though.

0 Likes

Sure, wagoozen. Thanks, John.

0 Likes

I'm sorry to say but reinstalling Windows will help on alot of things but.. its unlikely to be needed for just a CPU change. 

I had so many different CPUs with the same Windows. From a dual core Phenom, to a Phenom II 965, AthlonFX and several Ryzens the last two being a 2700X and now a 7950X.

The only thing to worry is Windows activation.

And this is a common practise at work because Finance department sometimes says: "Sorry, budget cuts! No money for new computers"

The Englishman

johnnyenglish, recommending a fresh install of Windows has corrected problems. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

The last post from @wagoozen does indicate that he still has problems, as soon as he enables XMP, the system crashes, this is very common, even if the memory is on the QVL like my old corsair kit.

The Englishman
0 Likes

I agree. Changing only from a 5800X to a 5800X3D should definitely not require reinstallation of Windows. I too have reused the same install of Windows between hardware changes, even as you said @johnnyenglish going between generations and in my case even between Intel and AMD platforms.

If you've exhausted other efforts and at your wits end, then maybe as a last ditch effort.

wagoozen
Adept I

Today i had it again, nothing running really just discord and edge, it started with the sound, i can continue working in the browser, then after 10 seconds browser stop working.

0 Likes

Try disabling DOCP/XMP and see if it still crashes.

If it does not then check if the memory sticks are in the boards QVL. Not every IMC (integrated memory controller) performs the same.

You could have a non certified memory kit, which means, its not guaranteed that it will work, even if it did before on another CPU.

Good luck 

The Englishman
0 Likes

I have reverted back to default config, and no curve optimizer. so basically i am running stock atm.

Lets see if that helps.

Secondly, i only change the cpu from 5800x to 5800x3d. However, i use driverbooster to install drivers. So next step is reinstall all the drivers explicitly by manufacturer.

0 Likes
re7ro
Adept I

I feel like we share a similar issue.
Only things installed on this PC are games, software for peripherals, audio software and obv drivers.
I uninstalled voicemeeter because I suspected the VBAN was doing something to my ethernet. 

now I'm am starting to suspect it was the update to 24.1 adrenalin. After the update, I had this issue and was forced to hard shutdown the pc, then restarted with a corrupted user profile(unable to retrieve user profile)
Rolling back does not help. 

Here's everything I have done to troubleshoot. It may help speed things up. 
https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsHelp/comments/1ahjt0p/can_someone_save_me_from_spending_hundreds_of/

When my global profile is set to enable anti-lag and frame gen, I was more likely to experience this slowdown and eventual crash either when alt-tabbing, closing a game or just connecting a device to usb ports. 
although for me, it disconnects my ethernet adapters first and then the system freezes. 
I have been able to play games for 7+ hours without anti-lag and frame gen enabled. Basically not using adrenalin features. 

I have not had to reinstall windows 10 since 2016.. and reinstalling is literally the last resort. 
I hope we can figure this out.  

0 Likes
ed6698
Adept III

I personally never use a 3rd party program to install drivers. Ditch Driverbooster and get the drivers from their correct manufacturer website.

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero - Ryzen 5950X - Noctua NH D15 Chromax Black - 4x8GB 32Gb GSkill DDR4 @3800 - Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC V2 - Samsung 980 Pro, 970 Evo Plus, Corsair Force GT - Super Flower 1000W Leadex SE Platinum
re7ro
Adept I

Hi did you ever get this fixed? 
If not, have you taken a look at your event viewer? 
Event viewer _> Windows logs -> System 
If you hard shut down after ur pc freezes, there should be a entry for critical. 
The entries before the critical log should be looked at to see if anything can tell you what's causing the crash. 

0 Likes
wagoozen
Adept I

So i reverted back to stock and all is working good. Yeterday i enabled xmp profile for my memory so it runs at 3600mhz. Today with only browsers playing music and one rdp session system freezes again.

So again i reverted back but only set memory to 3200Mhz.

Also Rezise bar is something i suspect it might cause something not sure though.

0 Likes

Now that we have the culprit, the DOCP/XMP. And don't worry, it happened to me too with a QVL certified kit from corsair.

I would do the following:

--- You can bump the memory voltage a notch, to 1.4v and no more than 1.4v, however, this didn't helped me.

--- You can loosen up the timings, I had to do it on my 3200mhz Corsair kit, like if the kit is 16-18-18-36, put something like 18-20-20-40. If it still crashes...

--- Then you may have to bump the vSoC voltage, but don't go over on this one. I increased mine to 1.25 and that was it. Stable from here on.

[IF IT STILL CRASHES]

Then you really need to decrease speed, try 3400, if its stable, increase timings to compensate for the speed reduction. If it still crashes, go down to 3200.

Good Luck

The Englishman
0 Likes
wagoozen
Adept I

With the 3200Mhz manual settings but everything else on default, Rezise bar is also disabled for now, today i dont have any problems. So i will extend my settings back to rezise bar enabled. i will do this tomorrow

wagoozen
Adept I

Had problems again while resizebar was disabled. So put this back on. Only 3200Mhz is set for the memory. 

Just out of the blue, can discord cause any problems. I have BT audio on my Bose QC 35. 

0 Likes