cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Solrek
Journeyman III

AMD Ryzen 7 6800h Working at maximum power, 93-95Cº

Wouldn't it have problems with that temperature?
AMD says the maximum temperature is 95ºC

0 Likes
2 Solutions
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I had an Asus TUF that ran the CPU at 90C and when I spoke to them they said it was within spec and would not cause issues unless it went to 100C. That was rough and repasting the laptop didn't do anything for thermals. It still works from 2019 an old friend is using it now.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Fwq14
Adept I

Yes, it would have problems in the long run, if you intend to use your laptop for longer than five years. I think everyone would like to have their laptops working for a long time, especially when you pay some $1500 or more for the premium models.

There are several things you can do to combat this:

1. Decrease the maximum TDP values in the third party software that your laptop manufacturer may provide, or some other way, like using the RyzenAdj utility (or using an app called UXTU, which provides a GUI for RyzenAdj). Usually you would want to decrease the "Long Boost" and "Short Boost" values from 65W and 54W down to 55W and 50W, or lower, if your thermal paste begins to age, or you can set a temperature limit to 80C, if you are playing games on it. Depending on your workloads (which you should have specified in your message), this can improve your temperatures without noticeably impacting performance.
  2. Decrease the maximum CPU clock speed. This can be done in Windows' Control Panel in the Power Plan settings. You will need to unlock the "Maximum processor frequency" feature in your Power Plan settings. After you do that, you can decrease the maximum CPU clock speed. On my Ryzen 7 6800H laptop, decreasing the maximum CPU clock speed down to 4300MHz (from 4700MHz) brought 10-15C improvement and a much quieter experience, and only decreased the maximum single core performance by 5%. If you're playing videogames, you can decrease the CPU clock speed further, down to 3700MHz, for instance, for way better power efficiency. This will for sure make your laptop much, much quieter across all apps, but it will make your experience using the laptop less snappier, so you should create a separate power plan for gaming and have a power plan for general usage that has a 4300MHz core clock limit.

The reason why the second method works so well is because with Ryzen 6000 laptop APUs, AMD has opted to give users the highest single-core performance possible for the laptop chips, at the cost of a bit increased power consumption and slightly higher CPU core clocks. However, some laptop manufacturers may not do a good job designing a good cooling system to sustain the APUs below 80C at those high CPU frequencies, or optimizing the CPU performance to stay cool. The increase in maximum single-core boost clocks over the Ryzen 5000 series meant a significant increase in power consumption and heat output, so that is why dropping the maximum CPU boost clocks down to 4300MHz will give you such an improvement in temperatures, if your laptop's cooling system has not been upgraded from last year to better suit the Ryzen 7 6800H. My laptop, the Redmibook Pro 15 2022, has a much better cooling system compared to last year, so I only see up to 75-77C during a short boost to 4.7GHz while an app is loading.

With these tweaks, all you're doing is doing the manufacturer's job for them. You optimise the performance of your laptop to better suit you. I also want better temperatures to hopefully have my laptop working for 10 years with zero issues, so I did these tweaks before. AMD just lets you customise your experience (they've basically enabled APU overclocking on Ryzen 6000 series chips and turned it on by default, though you can't exactly overclock your CPU in a way you expect).

View solution in original post

5 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I looked at the maximum temperature for the Ryzen 7 6800h it is 95C so you may be throttling. Is your machine still covered by the sellers return window or manufacturer warranty?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
MikeySCT
Challenger

Based on my recent experience with a Legion 5 Pro laptop I'd gotten (AMD R7 5800H, 2x 8GB RAM, RTX 3070), the root cause may be two folds:

Dust preventing good intake of cool exterior air, I discovered the used laptop I'd gotten wasn't properly maintained by previous owner. Guess he was too lazy to submit a diagnostic report to Lenovo like I'd done. They sent a technician over and upon opening the laptop, found this:

Wo6aHI4

The tech guy decided that the fans might have been damaged due to the vents being so choked with dust, so he went ahead and changed the entire cooling assembly:

OVmvhxw

This is what your cooling system on your laptop should look like, free of dust. My CPU temp went down from 102C to mid 80's, GPU temp from about 90C to < 80C, that's a vast improvement in temps.

Another factor is laptop cooling, are you using a cooling pad for laptop? If not, would suggest you look into a good laptop cooling pad or stand. I'd tried two, one more traditional CoolerMaster cooling pad and this (pic below).

pnoWRWC

Note that the two fans on the stand are blowing cool exterior air onto the air intake vents on the bottom of the laptop, this actually help further lower the CPU and GPU temps, even under gaming loads.

IF you're not using or unable to use active cooling, like mine, getting a couple of laptop mounts to simply raise the bottom of the laptop to allow for more cool air to be taken in on the air intake vents help a lot.

AM4 R9 5900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX |Samsung C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 FS 2 | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Win11 Pro 22H2
DaBeast02 - AM4 R9 3900X | GB X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Acer XR341CK 34" 21:9 FS | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | SOLDAM XR-1 | Win11 Pro 22H2
Solrek
Journeyman III

I have a cooler, my laptop is still covered by the 3 year warranty, I've only been using it for 1 month, it's dust free and I haven't touched the processor.
It's an Asus TUF A15 FA507RR.312 Ryzen 7 6800h 40w, RTX 3070 140w, 2x RAM DDR5 8GB 4800 MHz, SSD m.2 1T

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I had an Asus TUF that ran the CPU at 90C and when I spoke to them they said it was within spec and would not cause issues unless it went to 100C. That was rough and repasting the laptop didn't do anything for thermals. It still works from 2019 an old friend is using it now.

0 Likes
Fwq14
Adept I

Yes, it would have problems in the long run, if you intend to use your laptop for longer than five years. I think everyone would like to have their laptops working for a long time, especially when you pay some $1500 or more for the premium models.

There are several things you can do to combat this:

1. Decrease the maximum TDP values in the third party software that your laptop manufacturer may provide, or some other way, like using the RyzenAdj utility (or using an app called UXTU, which provides a GUI for RyzenAdj). Usually you would want to decrease the "Long Boost" and "Short Boost" values from 65W and 54W down to 55W and 50W, or lower, if your thermal paste begins to age, or you can set a temperature limit to 80C, if you are playing games on it. Depending on your workloads (which you should have specified in your message), this can improve your temperatures without noticeably impacting performance.
  2. Decrease the maximum CPU clock speed. This can be done in Windows' Control Panel in the Power Plan settings. You will need to unlock the "Maximum processor frequency" feature in your Power Plan settings. After you do that, you can decrease the maximum CPU clock speed. On my Ryzen 7 6800H laptop, decreasing the maximum CPU clock speed down to 4300MHz (from 4700MHz) brought 10-15C improvement and a much quieter experience, and only decreased the maximum single core performance by 5%. If you're playing videogames, you can decrease the CPU clock speed further, down to 3700MHz, for instance, for way better power efficiency. This will for sure make your laptop much, much quieter across all apps, but it will make your experience using the laptop less snappier, so you should create a separate power plan for gaming and have a power plan for general usage that has a 4300MHz core clock limit.

The reason why the second method works so well is because with Ryzen 6000 laptop APUs, AMD has opted to give users the highest single-core performance possible for the laptop chips, at the cost of a bit increased power consumption and slightly higher CPU core clocks. However, some laptop manufacturers may not do a good job designing a good cooling system to sustain the APUs below 80C at those high CPU frequencies, or optimizing the CPU performance to stay cool. The increase in maximum single-core boost clocks over the Ryzen 5000 series meant a significant increase in power consumption and heat output, so that is why dropping the maximum CPU boost clocks down to 4300MHz will give you such an improvement in temperatures, if your laptop's cooling system has not been upgraded from last year to better suit the Ryzen 7 6800H. My laptop, the Redmibook Pro 15 2022, has a much better cooling system compared to last year, so I only see up to 75-77C during a short boost to 4.7GHz while an app is loading.

With these tweaks, all you're doing is doing the manufacturer's job for them. You optimise the performance of your laptop to better suit you. I also want better temperatures to hopefully have my laptop working for 10 years with zero issues, so I did these tweaks before. AMD just lets you customise your experience (they've basically enabled APU overclocking on Ryzen 6000 series chips and turned it on by default, though you can't exactly overclock your CPU in a way you expect).