cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ciscogreg
Journeyman III

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X - RAM Slots A1+B1 run at reduced speed on ASUS Motherboards?

Hey folks,

I've been testing the AMD Ryzen 5 3600x CPU on two different ASUS motherboards and have come to the conclusion that it is incapable of running RAM at full speed in slots A1+B1. It can only run at full speed in slots A2+B2.

I've tried updating to the latest BIOS and playing with such settings as D.O.C.P which helps slots A2+B2 run at full speed but not A1+B1. 

Here are the motherboards I've tested:

ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
ASUS TUF B450-PLUS GAMING AM4

Here are the RAM models I tested (always tested separately with same RAM model, never mixed):
G.SKILL Trident Z RGB (For AMD) 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory - Model F4-3600C18D-16GTZRX
TeamGroup T-FORCE VULCAN Z 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16 Dual Channel Desktop Memory - Model TLZGD432G3200HC

Here are my results:
G.SKILL - slots A1+B1 - 2133MHZ
G.SKILL - slots A2+B2 - 3600MHZ
G.SKILL - slots A1+A2+B1+B2 - 2133MHZ
Teamgroup - slots A1+B1 - 2400MHZ
Teamgroup - slots A2+B2 - 3200MHZ
Teamgroup - slots A1+A2+B1+B2 - 2400MHZ

Is this a limitation of the AMD Ryzen 5 3600x CPU or with ASUS motherboards?

2 Replies
soa
Adept I

Hey,

For what I can say, every motherboard have the right slots to install memory cards in Dual-Channel mode and you will only be able do run them at full speed if you do it. You can probably find the information on your motherboard user manual. Take, for example, the recommended configuration that I just found at ASUS TUF B450-PLUS GAMING AM4 users manual.

pastedImage_2.png

0 Likes

This is literally complained about in these forums several times a week. I think it doesn't get more as most users don use more than 2 ram slots. 

This IMHO is an ASUS problem. Many Gigabyte boards have this issue too, possibly others. My MSI boards allow all 4 to be populated and run at full XMP speed with ram on the QVL list. I returned the first Gigabyte board I bought because of this. I don't own any but have built a couple AsRock boards that were okay too. I don't know why some motherboard makers have and don't have this issue. 

I would strongly suggest you enlist the help of ASUS support as to why their board does not work correctly assuming you are using ram on their QVL. 

0 Likes