Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

redlambert
Journeyman III

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 70 Degree Idle Temps

Hello!

I've recently been having issues with performance during gaming (framerate going crazy after 10 min or so of gaming.)

After several different benchmarks showed that my CPU was underperforming by quite a bit, I found AMD Ryzen Master and downloaded it to see if I could figure out the issue- and I found that my idle temps (literally nothing but Ryzen Master open) are resting around 70-75 degrees, which I believe is... a lot more than it should be, and most likely what's been bottlenecking my performance (for reference, my GPU is EVGA Geforce RTX 2070 Super, games are on a 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM.)

I'm not very experienced at PC building (mine was put together for me last summer by NZXT) so it's been really difficult trying to find a reason for why this is happening. I remounted my cooling system (NZXT Kraken m22) all my drivers are updated, BIOS settings at default, and removing the entire glass panel of my rig hasn't resulted in any cooling off so it's not an airflow issue. I used to very lightly overclock via MSI Afterburner, but recently have only been running everything at stock everything, so that's not it either. And I don't see any programs running in the background that could be cranking up background usage.

I'm so at a loss right now. Any ideas? This is the first time I've sought online advice about this kind of thing, so I don't know what else I should provide to help with determining the issue- please let me know if I should provide any further details!

0 Likes
1 Solution

From reviews on the Kraken M22 it is considered to be a Budget AIO. One review says an Air CPU Cooler would be better: NZXT Kraken M22 Review & Benchmark: Thermals of a Risky Design | GamersNexus - Gaming PC Builds & Ha... 

Those temperatures at idle are extremely high. The Maximum Temperature for your processor is 95 Centigrade. Idle temps should be between the 30's and lower 50's C. Depending on many factors.

If you are able to, see if you can either borrow a stronger AIO or High TDP  Air Cooler. Then see if the idle temps are lower.

Otherwise, the AIO is installed incorrectly or is defective or has a leak or a blockage in the tubing or Fan or Radiator.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

From reviews on the Kraken M22 it is considered to be a Budget AIO. One review says an Air CPU Cooler would be better: NZXT Kraken M22 Review & Benchmark: Thermals of a Risky Design | GamersNexus - Gaming PC Builds & Ha... 

Those temperatures at idle are extremely high. The Maximum Temperature for your processor is 95 Centigrade. Idle temps should be between the 30's and lower 50's C. Depending on many factors.

If you are able to, see if you can either borrow a stronger AIO or High TDP  Air Cooler. Then see if the idle temps are lower.

Otherwise, the AIO is installed incorrectly or is defective or has a leak or a blockage in the tubing or Fan or Radiator.

This was exactly it- I bought a Cooler Master Hyper 212 air cooler yesterday to see what the difference was- immediately the temperatures were down to 35 degrees idle. Apparently, my Kraken M22 just decided to completely stop working. It's still under warranty so I might try to send it in for repairs, but right now I'm very happy with the Cooler Master's performance- and I'm having zero of the framerate issues I was having before while gaming! Thank you for the suggestion!

I purchased the same Cooler Master CPU Cooler as you did. It is a fantastic CPU Cooler for being so relatively inexpensive. I have it installed on a FX8350 which has a high TDP rating of 125 watts compared to your Ryzen which has a 65 Watts TDP.

Glad you got your processor properly cooled and working normally again.

Take care.

0 Likes

can I ask what case do you have? nzxt h500 and I dont know if the Cooler Master Hyper 212 air cooler will fit im looking at it on amazon rn btw i have the same cooler the nzxt kraken m22 its the worst thing i swear it was working fine for like 9months then it just failed i didnt realize it untill my pc crashed of overheat and rn my temps on idle are 77 i have the 3600 r5 too and  are there going to be other problems my case will have with the hyper 212

0 Likes

I had the same issue when I was going to replace my wife's Stock CPU Cooler from a Pre-built PC computer.

I found this Computer Tech site - PCPARTPICKER that shows all the compatible Computer cases for the CPU Cooler you are interested in: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/?compatible_with=hmtCmG

Here are all the NZXT  H500 computer cases that will fit the CoolerMaster Hyper212:

Screenshot 2021-01-02 110529.png

You can go back to the CPU Cooler list and click on any of the other CPU Coolers listed and then click on "Compatible Computer Cases" to see which computer case will fit the CPU Cooler.

0 Likes

thank you this will help alot