Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

salseropilot
Adept II

AMD Ryzen 3900X stuck at very low (500 Mhz) frequencies on several cores

Hi all,

I am seeing an issue wherein my AMD's 3900x core 0, 1, and 2 are stuck at around 500 Mhz clock speed. All the other cores are running as expected, except for the first three.

This issue is intermittent.

I have attached screenshot from CPUID HWMonitor:

pastedImage_1.png

I let my system run for about an hour now, and these frequencies have not changed. A Reboot will surely fix the issue. 

Is anyone else experiencing this issue, and knows how to resolve it?

Thanks,

AMD3900X

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)

Karim

147 Replies
ledhed
Adept II

Re: AMD Ryzen 3900X stuck at very low (500 Mhz) frequency for core 0, 1, and 2

I have one quick guess on this one, check your active Power Plan. It might be set to Power Save Mode or one of the Non-Ryzen power plans (High Performance or Balanced). Just type "Power Plan" into the search bar and hit the entry that says "Edit Power Plan."

Select either Ryzen Balanced or Ryzen High Performance, for me Balanced gives better temperatures and roughly the same performance. You will have to hit "change the advanced power settings" to change the active plan, hit the drop down menu.

There are a bunch of other possibilities as to why this might happen, but that is the quickest one to check. GL!

0 Likes
salseropilot
Adept II

Unfortunately, that is not the issue. My power plan is set to the Ryzen High Performance power plan. Power plan is not the issue.

0 Likes
ledhed
Adept II

Can you take a screenshot of your CPU in AMD's Ryzen Master software (both during idle and during a load)? 

Have it so all the info that can show is being shown (hit the drop down boxes if they aren't already expanded on the home screen of Ryzen Master).

0 Likes
salseropilot
Adept II

Hi ledhed,

At the time of this issue, I was not running AMD's Ryzen Master software. I was only running CPUID HW Monitor. Though there should be no reason why HW monitor would give me incorrect values. I was also running Asus AI Suite 3 at the time of the issue, and also I was seeing Core 0, 1, and 2 stuck in the 500 Mhz range.

When I ran a benchmark test to exercise all cores, Cores 0, 1, and 2 were still stuck in the 500 Mhz range, as opposed to the rest of the cores which were in the 4000s Mhz.

The issue intermittent and is resolved after a reboot.

Karim

0 Likes
salseropilot
Adept II

Is Anyone else seeing this behavior? It looks like a legit issue to me (whether firmware or hardware), as there should be no reason why 3 cores of 12 would operate at 500Mhz. And I highly doubt this is a configuration issue; my system is not overclocked, other than the Precision Boost Overdrive being enabled. Everything, from voltage to frequency to ram is set to default.

How could I bring this up to AMD's technical team? do they moderate this forum?

Thanks in advance.

obeliskag
Journeyman III

This is odd in that it looks like CCX0, C01 and half of C02 are impacted. Usual suggestions, check you have the latest motherboard BIOS, install the latest AMD Chipset drivers, reset BIOS settings to default and then see if it is still an issue.

0 Likes
salseropilot
Adept II

Indeed latest BIOS is installed, latest Chipset drivers for x570, and other than  Precision Boost Overdrive being enabled, everything in BIOS is set to default.

This issue is intermittent, hence I don' think it's a user configuration issue. 

It has happened three times in the span of a month, and only a reboot fixes the problem.

Any help is appreciated to characterize this problem.

Thanks,

AMD3900X

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)

0 Likes
ledhed
Adept II

Try running with PBO totally disabled in your BIOS, according to 1usmus, this will force Precision Boost 2.0 to handle the throttling/boosting instead of Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO).

There is no guarantee this will work, but it won't hurt anything and it's easy to test it.

You may also want to set the Thermal Limit to manual (located right under PBO enable/disable) and put a value around 80-90C. I have mine set to 85C and I notice that my 3950X seems to start leveling off the boost clocks when it reaches near 75-80C. It's likely that Precision Boost 2.0 begins to lower the boost ratio prior to hitting your thermal limit, ensuring it never reaches your TMax.

shinkojiro
Miniboss

That happened once after I tried out 1Usmus's power plan and Bios settings. needless to say it has never happened with AMD's or windows power plans.