cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

comus
Journeyman III

AMD RYzen 2700X pin issue

I bought a brand new Ryzen 7 3700X installed in my AS ROCK AB350 Gaming K4 motherboard after updating the BIOS to 5.80 the recommended BIOS for all 3rd gen RYZEN CPU compatible with my M/board..but i get nothing the CPU wont boot up it is stuck in blue screen loop the PC starts up runs for 10 seconds then re boots and does the same thing over and over, so i had no choice but to remove the new CPU and reinstall my previous one a Ryzen 5 1600.

When removing the new CPU i performed the required operation of not pulling straight up but rotating from side to side to break the thermal seal between the cpu and cooler however despite my effort when i removed the Cooler the CPU was stuck to the bottom of the Wraith Prism Cooler by thermal paste and because it is such a big cooler i had no idea that the CPU was stuck to the bottom of it and during the removal process i ended up bending some pins which i was successfully able to bend straight using a Stanley knife blade between the rows of pins i am 100% confident that the pins are now perfectly straight.

unfortunately i also broke 1 pin off as well,....with the CPU correctly in the socket it is the very last pin on row 3 top right hand side, i know for a fact i wont get a refund because this would be considered end user error.

I have read on line information that depending on the function of the missing pin it may have no effect at all on performance and the CPU should still boot up and run with one missing pin.

I contacted AS Rock support and they got back to me to say there is no reason at all why the 7 3700x will no run in my motherboard with the 5.80 Bios but just to be sure i can upgrade to the very latest bios 6.40 which i did..i then reinstalled the  7 3700x and it my PC did exactly the same thing again that it did when i 1st installed it go through 10 second loop then restart over and over again.

is it possible that there is some kind of AMD PDF showing the PIN function for a RYZEN CPU so i can identify the function of the missing pin to see whether this is contributing to my issue or not

just in case it is relevant in any way i have 16gb of 2400mhz G Skill Ram which runs perfectly with the Ryzen 5 1600

is it even possible the the CPU was faulty straight out of the box ? i genuinely cant see that being the case and even if it was how would i prove that ?

0 Likes
1 Solution

You are correct that your 3 year AMD Warranty is automatically voided with the broken pin.

Since it is doing the exact same thing with the broken pin seems to indicate the pin that broke was a redundant type CPU pin like a Ground pin.

You can also test the processor on another computer using a 3000 series processor to see if it works correctly.

Did you upgrade your RAM Memory also when you bought the new 3700X or are you using the old CPU RAM Memory?

If not it could be due to incompatible RAM Memory with the 3700X processor.

Also do a CLEAR CMOS to reset your BIOS to it default settings with the new Processor in case it is a BIOS setting causing the problem.

No need to do the above step if you just upgraded the BIOS since it will be in its default state automatically.

Check ASRock QVL List for RAM Memory for the 3000 series processors and see if your RAM is listed. If it isn't then try using just ONE STICK OF RAM in A2 and see if it boots into Windows.

Also in BIOS change the setting so that it won't restart automatically but shuts down instead. Then you might be able to see the BSOD error it is encountering or crash error.

NOTE: When you updated your BIOS did you follow the Yellow Warning Instructions BEFORE updating to BIOS version 5.80.

Screenshot 2022-03-13 220146.png

EDIT: According to ASRock BIOS Versions above 5.80 your Summit Ridge Processor (1600) is NOT RECOMMENDED being used with that BIOS versions:

View solution in original post

7 Replies

You are correct that your 3 year AMD Warranty is automatically voided with the broken pin.

Since it is doing the exact same thing with the broken pin seems to indicate the pin that broke was a redundant type CPU pin like a Ground pin.

You can also test the processor on another computer using a 3000 series processor to see if it works correctly.

Did you upgrade your RAM Memory also when you bought the new 3700X or are you using the old CPU RAM Memory?

If not it could be due to incompatible RAM Memory with the 3700X processor.

Also do a CLEAR CMOS to reset your BIOS to it default settings with the new Processor in case it is a BIOS setting causing the problem.

No need to do the above step if you just upgraded the BIOS since it will be in its default state automatically.

Check ASRock QVL List for RAM Memory for the 3000 series processors and see if your RAM is listed. If it isn't then try using just ONE STICK OF RAM in A2 and see if it boots into Windows.

Also in BIOS change the setting so that it won't restart automatically but shuts down instead. Then you might be able to see the BSOD error it is encountering or crash error.

NOTE: When you updated your BIOS did you follow the Yellow Warning Instructions BEFORE updating to BIOS version 5.80.

EDIT: According to ASRock BIOS Versions above 5.80 your Summit Ridge Processor (1600) is NOT RECOMMENDED being used with that BIOS versions:

Thank you for all of the suggestions you have given me to try that i had not though of hopefully one of them will do the trick

I did follow the correct upgrade path for the BIOS as you correctly showed in your screenshots, when i spoke to AS ROck system support i was told that even though it says my existing CPU is only compatible with update 5.80 they recommended me to update to 6.40 which i did do and my Ryzen 5 1600 still runs absolutely fine.

I am currently running 16gb (2x 8Gb sticks) of G-Skill Flare 2400mhz which is on the AS Rock MOBO list of recommended Ram

and the Ryzen7 7200x is on the list of recommended CPU as well so i would assume that they are compatible together

0 Likes
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

Um your CPU should not have came out with your CPU cooler.

Did you have the metal locking pin on the MOBO that secures your CPU to the MOBO engaged or disengaged while removing the CPU cooler?

Never disengage the MOBO CPU locking pin until you are removing or replacing the CPU only.

0 Likes

@ThunderBeaver 

It is a common problem with the CPU Coolers adhering to the processor. The Thermal Paste after a while start acting like a very strong glue.

That is why it is recommended to run the PC for a minute before removing the CPU Cooler (Heats up the old thermal paste)  and by doing like the OP did gently twisting the CPU Cooler side to side to break the old Thermal Paste.

My old processor (FX8350) came out with the CPU Cooler when I tried to remove the CPU Cooler. The processor was properly latched to the motherboard. I forgot how I was able to detached the glued CPU Cooler from the processor at the moment.

0 Likes

Yeah I've experienced the CPU glue effect multiple times.

What I'm talking about is the CPU locking pin. You have to be careful it is easy to disengage that locking pin when removing a stubborn CPU cooler. 

My main concern is if the CPU was properly secured and seated this should not have happened unless there was unknown damage to the CPU socket that allowed the CPU to twist with the cooler. 

0 Likes

Unfortunately due to the fact that the CPU would not boot up i was unable to run the PC for a short while before removal to help soften up the thermal paste 

0 Likes

Hi I think this was the main issue

im used to the wraith spire cooler which just uses 4 screws but the new CPU came with wraith PRISM cooler so I needed to add the plastic parts which the eyes hook over to lock the cooler in place, and when the PC wouldn't boot up with new CPU in it i had to remove the wraith cooler and because it is massive there was virtually no room to get my fingers down in between the parts to undo the clips easily and i think that in removing the cooler is when i damaged the CP as it stuck to the bottom of the Cooler without me knowing that was even possible as it had never happened with the Wraith Spire Cooler before

0 Likes