cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

egnompaln
Journeyman III

AMD CPU advice?

It's been a decade since I built a rig. Pretty set on AMD CPU, but would appreciate this forums guidance on the three below options. Purpose is gaming + normal desk work, all are within budget.

• Ryzen 7 5800X (8-core @ 3.8 GHz) for $237 (heck of a sale right now @ almost 50% off)

• Ryzen 7 5800X3D (8-core @ 3.4 GHz) for $357

• Ryzen 7 7700X (8-core @ 4.5 GHz) for $345

• Please point out if I've missed an obvious option here

The 5800X vs. 5800 X3D is tripping me up most of all due to the lower core clock on the X3D. From reading this forum I thought the X3D was the best value within the 5K lineup. Does the X3D win out over the X due to the larger L3 cache?

Also, I lean towards the 7700X for the higher core clock in general, but let me know if the X3D's L3 cache (or another variable) makes it a grab.

Thanks for your input!

6 Replies
toddd240
Adept I

If you game AND do work that requires many cores like graphics then the X3D is a good choice. Cached games will benefit from the x3d but the 7700x is a better all around gaming cpu than either of the 5800s. Honestly there isn't much real world difference between the chips. the 7700x over the 5800x is about 10 to 15% better if you are pushing the CPU. the 7700x is probably the better choice if you lean on gaming and regular desktop ops.

Awol
Challenger

If its a question of overall build cost id go with the 5800 X3D, the 7700X is AM5 and the cost of Mobo/RAM etc is more costly than the 5800 X3D AM4 build components.

ThreeDee
Paragon

If it's a ground up brand new build .. I'd go with the 7700x and the AM5 route

I run both the ASRock B650E Steel Legend and the Gigabyte B650M Aorus Elite AX, and they have both been really solid performers 

about a month old now . .but a 35 B650 roundup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtHOOyWYiic&t=1379s

6200 seems to be my wall on RAM with both a 7950x and a 7600 with UCLK=MEMCLK. I run a Hynix based 2x32GB 6400 and Hynix 2x16GB 6000 kit both at 6200 CAS30 (Gskill Ripjaw S5's)

Make sure to get a good power supply that will more than handle whatever components you decide to go with .. check hardware review sites before purchasing anything

a little older video on transient power spikes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnRyyCsuHFQ

ThreeDee PC specs
KAPS
Adept I

Get on pcpartpicker and create full builds (or at least CPU, mobo and ram) for each CPU and compare the total cost of each option.

Imo, it's either the 5800x3d or the 7700x, there's no point going for the non 3d 5800x unless you're limited by budget.

If I were you, I'd be going with the newer platform (am5 and 7700x); slightly higher overall cost but it'll have upgrade options and it'll age better as games and apps are optimised for ddr5

Ryzen 5600x, MSI B550 Gaming Edge WiFi, Powercolor 5700XT Red Devil
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Nobody mentioned the 5600X3D CPU, which is only available at MicroCenter in the USA.  I jumped on that wagon and it's a great gaming CPU.  But overall, I would look for combo packages for the CPU / motherboard / RAM that can save you even more money.  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
Angeluk
Challenger

Get 7900X, the price difference with 7700X is miserable, but you get a lot more performance! You wont regret it, if you are not happy with the current clock you can undervolt it, you will get more performance for less power ant temperatures, plus you can run it with any dual fan budget CPU FAN and save money on cooling too. It has built in GPU, so if for some reason you have to swap gpu you still have PC. Let us know what you going to get Good luck!

0 Likes