cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

crawfyp1
Journeyman III

AMD A8-7670K Radeon R7 APU - Temperatures too high?

Hi,

I purchased brand new AMD A8-7670K Radeon R7 APU, the rest of my build is as follows:

mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3

PSU: Corsair VS550 550W

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 2 X 4GB

The build is for my mother in law and the machine will not be particularly stressed.

My question is re temps. The APU is using the stock cooler and idles at approx 45-48 degrees C, in normal use it rises often to 70 degrees plus and sometimes will hit 78 degrees fairly regularly. I have used Speccy and HW Monitor CPUID - both show the same. Is this to be expected with this APU on stock cooler. I recently built another machine with AMD A6-6400k Black Edition APU, similar spec and it runs much cooler. Advice appreciated.

0 Likes
4 Replies

Re: AMD A8-7670K Radeon R7 APU - Temperatures too high?

It should be running much cooler than that, and shouldn't be able to get that hot without causing errors. If you're sure everything's installed correctly, I'd say it's a faulty reading.

Hit it with Prime95 blend to make sure though.

0 Likes
techguy
Forerunner

AMD states that 72.4 C as the max user temp. Have you installed the latest mobo BIOS? I'd also contact Gigabyte to see if they have a temp readout issue on your mobo with the specific APU. Your processor is likely to start throttling the frequency as you approach 80C if the temp reading is accurate.

FYI - AMD APUs typically run hotter than an FX CPU because you have both a CPU and a GPU on the same silicon.

0 Likes
muffinmansam
Journeyman III

I too am having this problem and am using the Gigabyte F2A68HM-HD2 mobo. Checking the CPU temperature through the BIOS it says that that the cpu is running at 55 after about 10 minutes of slowly climbing from 30.

0 Likes
techguy
Forerunner

If your APU is running 55C under load then there is nothing wrong with it at all as the max temp is 72.4C.

0 Likes