cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

djbontempo
Journeyman III

AMD 7900X 128GB of RAM

When can we expect the issues involving running 4 Sticks of RAM to be solved? It is kind of annoying that not one hardware manufacture is acknowledging this issue! If you are going to make a product and make claims about compatibility, you should be held accountable to making your products work, instead we get a bunch of its this persons issues, its that persons issue crap. You made the CPU dual channel knowing **bleep** well that DDR5 ram is build as dual channel per stick! This means that in order to run a max amount of RAM using 4 sticks the CPU would need to be capable of handling 4 channels of RAM, so why make it at all if it does not support the hardware? Furthermore why bother to claim that it can support the hardware if you already knew it could not?

I have 3 brand new machines sitting here which I did research to make sure I got ram that was supposedly capable of handling all 4 sticks only to be met with constant blue screens of threading exceptions when I try to use all 4! Instead I have to cut it down to 3 sticks and deal with subpar speeds that I could have easily achieved using DDR4! I would like this issue to be addressed as I need these machines to handle the specs I purchased them for, they need to have 128GB of DDR5 installed and abled to run at advertised speed, if not they are of little to no use to me and I will NEVER purchase another AMD setup in the future for my business. I wasted over $4500 to build these machines only to be disappointed. 

FIX THIS BEFORE YOU MOVE ON TO OTHER CPU'S! 

0 Likes
5 Replies

It would be helpful to know at least one PC Information (Make & Models) of Motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM, and Windows versions installed.

NOTE: By your original post you did check to see if the RAM you purchased was compatible with all 4 Dimm Slots for 128GB of RAM from the Motherboard's QVL List for the 7000 series processors, correct?

128GB is not a very common amount of RAM for most Consumer Motherboards.  Normally there are only a few RAM part numbers that are listed as 128GB on 4 DIMM Slots as being compatible in the QVL lists.

0 Likes

Yes I check for the RAM being listed, it was one of the only listed as being able to used with 4 DIMM slots at 128GB. These machines are going to be uses as game servers in a situation where the processor speed matters just as much as ram speed, so a lower clocked XEON or EPYC CPU will not work for what we need. We are in need of the fastest possible speed which is why I went with the 7900 over the 7950. 

Because of what we are using it for, its needs to run on a Windows 2019 server machine. 

Specs:

CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900X

Motherboard: Gigabyte B650M DS3H (Does not need anything fancy or a GPU)

Listed supported memory:  4x Crucial 32GB 2Rx8 CT32G48C40U5.16AX (Again one of the only listed for 4 Slot compatibility) 

Gigabyte insists that it is a AMD issue, AMD insists that its a Gigabyte issue. 

Lesson: Next time speed a few hundred more and go with Intel. 

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

djbontempo, this is a user forum, please direct this to AMD. Online support is here. John.

0 Likes
wagrant
Journeyman III

Hi, Did you ever find a solution for the max ram issue? If you did what brand and speed did you use? All I am finding on the web are stablility problems and worse.

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

If you wish to build such a machine to run 24/7 and get near solid with no downtime, you just picked the wrong hardware.

Not to mention pairing a lower end board with an incredibly weak VRM design for such a CPU.

If your objective is to run solid best of the best high frequency on that CPU, you won't get far with a 6+2+1 VRM that I wouldn't even consider for a 7800X3D let alone a 7900X.

You must be bottlenecking the CPU with that board, so it looks pretty normal that you won't run 128Gb at its best.

johnnyenglish_1-1686269227052.png

The Englishman
0 Likes