Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Alaric2650
Journeyman III

AMD 7 5800X temperature warning with AK400 cooler

Hello. 

I'm very new to this and just built my first PC a couple of months ago (3-4 i think). I have an AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, and a Deepcool AK400 cooler.

I am currently just playing World of Warcraft on "high", when I received a temperature warning message. This has happened twice now. 

I do not know at which temperature i start receiving this message, and how to fix it (or change the status of when I receive the message)

There were different videos on what to fix. From cleaning your PC, to fixing the airflow, to re-applying thermal paste. 

I was wondering if anybody in the community had this particular issue, or knowledge on fixing it. 

Thanks in advance. 

0 Likes
3 Replies
FunkZ
Forerunner

If you have an AMD graphics card you can enable the Metrics Overlay in the Adrenalin software to monitor your CPU and GPU temps while in game.

It could be a setting in the motherboard BIOS that is generating the warning. If so, you can likely set the threshold temperature at which the warning is displayed.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

Alaric2650, you do need to vacuum your case and fans/filters occasionally but not after 3 or 4 months. I suggest you do NOT need to replace your thermal paste. Doing so just disturbs the mature interface. Where is this warning coming from? Please install Ryzen Master and post a screen shot at idle and running Cinebench. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

First your Processor TDP Rating is 105 Watts which is high so you will need a powerful Air CPU Cooler to keep your Processor's Maximum Operating Temperature at or below 90c under any loads.

Your Deepcool AK400 is rated at a TDP Rating of 220 Watts which should be powerful enough from keeping your processor from overheating.

Since it is seemed to be almost overheating or did overheat slightly above 90c under heavy loads that would indicate to me:

1- Poor air circulation inside your PC case. Remove your PC side panel and then run the games again or check to see if your CPU temps are slight lower than when the Side panel was on. If it is that would indicate poor air flow inside your PC case.

2- CPU Cooler not properly installed or the fan's air flow is obstructed or you have a dirty CPU Cooler.

3- Dirty PC air filters or Case fans or one or more PC case fans not working.

4- You have your PC running in a hot room above 85F or higher.

My wife's CPU started to overheat and found out that the rear PC Case fan stopped working preventing good air circulation inside her PC case. Replaced the defective rear Case fan with a stronger Case fan and now my wife's CPU doesn't overheat anymore, As an example only.