Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Hollup
Journeyman III

AMD 5800x too hot :(

Hi,

Ive bought new Ryzen 5 5800x and installed above DeepCool AS500 cooler, deepcool termopaste. My PC case is meshify 2 compact  where is only 4 fans working AT 860-960 RPM (no splitters added and this case does not have internal pwm splitter as well) and under pressure (gaming) the temperature goes from 81C0 to 83 or to 87-89 C0. Is that normal for it ? Never seen such temperatures in CPU's( I had i5 8600k before and it never was like even 79C0). I am just scared about warranty and for how long will it work with such a temperature.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Your CPU is not too hot, it is working in normal temperature up to 90C, and you also increased PPT, TDC and EDC so those temps are nice with your basic cooler.

You can change Platform Thermal Throttle Limit e.g. to 80C so CPU temperature will be max around this value (default is 90C).

AMD should probably create some sticky thread or information to explain things, because this forum is full of "too hot" threads.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

I've been watching a lot of posting with 5800X being too hot and this one HOT chip for sure but I think for a beefy CPU like that you will also need a beefy cooler solution. Like an 360AIO or a chunky monster like NHD15 dual 140 fan.

The case looks pretty ok for airflow so check other variants like room temperature and fan curves, that is a big 140 fan right there but if you have it set to low speeds its not going too help.

You can take a chance and undervolt the CPU by offset. 

Tips on this VID: https://youtu.be/yVFjvizChrw?t=367

89ºC peaks like that on gaming.. IMO its too much. If you go and use heavier tools like video editing you will end up entering the thermal throttling zone. 

The Englishman
0 Likes

I tried downvolting at B550 Aorus elite v2 rev 1.0 motherboard. I just put curve optimizer to -30 negative  and PPT TDC EDC. Dont remember exactly what I put xD. I am curious what exactly values should be at this motherboard. Never met someone with this one and this cpu xD. Guess for me it's anyway is not enought cuz all these guys use AIO as I can see(one day I will fix it). Can I somehow make  my frequencies bounce not from 3.8 to 4.850 MHZ ? And make it from 3.8 to 4.6 for instance ? Does it decrease temperature and wont hurt ? 4 fans already works on the max.

P.S. I made kinda mistake. I installed MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner statistics server and realized that it takes values from *Value* column, and I mostly checked Max column - where usually highest values that I don't see in games at all. Usually I have temperature from 75 C0 to 83 and rarely to 85. I plan to do some synth tests but I already feel like it will be fail. I was really frustrated when checked that people even with AIO have 70+ C0 , so I am waiting too much =_=

0 Likes

Your CPU is not too hot, it is working in normal temperature up to 90C, and you also increased PPT, TDC and EDC so those temps are nice with your basic cooler.

You can change Platform Thermal Throttle Limit e.g. to 80C so CPU temperature will be max around this value (default is 90C).

AMD should probably create some sticky thread or information to explain things, because this forum is full of "too hot" threads.

0 Likes

Is PBO enabled?  If so turn it off right now.

0 Likes

请问,为什么我的5800x没有打开pbo他的倍频是4.7左右

0 Likes

Yes, but I did it with purpose to cool it down by the guidefrom youtube:

pbo limits: disabled

curve optimizer: all cores

optimizer sign: negative, -30

Also I have these values:  PBO Overdrive - Advanced, PPT - 120, TDC - 75, EDC - 110. Honestly I do not understand at 100% what I did xD. Author said I should consider VRM of my MB but I have no such an information. I never found exact information about what CPU temp range is safe and which is not at all. As I realized everybody says what he thinks is right.

0 Likes
trek
Elite

This depends on what graphics card you have exactly, you will have to increase speed of case fans.

0 Likes
apusista
Journeyman III

Franky, that CPU runs REALLY hot! Check 'Tech Notice' video on YouTube. As such, your best bet, and this applies to everyone using it, is extreme cooling solutions. So assuming you cant go for custom cooling, you need a very airy case with a 360 AIO and push pull fans wherever possible but in addition... you need to radically lower the ambient temperature. To 20°C or lower. Yes, 'jacket wearing' temperature with an Air Conditioner unless you're in cold climes. If you OC, then all of the above and 16°C. There was really no way to know this before you bought it so frankly, AMD should do something about it with a newly manufactured version and offer a trade-in but they will not recall it, though they should. Who knows, after this virus is under control and things normalise, they might offer that but by then you may want better. ? But for the pandemic, there may have been a recall.

0 Likes

Yeah. That's exactly  what I expected (cold weather I mean, +7 C0 now). I just locked frequency at 4300 MHZ and 1.15V with AMD Ryzen Masyer and that's enough for me(If I need more, I'll going to check other values). That was my first AMD proc and seems like it will be last one. Now I see how manipulative it could be, so next time I gotta think twice before check AMD solutions(Maybe next time I choose. Most load goes from Video rendering in games(temperatues go from 80 C0 and above) and less 80C0 in Pathfinder game, for example. That's for a few seconds though). 

0 Likes

Nooooo! Please don't get put off AMD by this processor... It is a freak and really should be recalled. When prices drop, buy the Ryzen 9 5900X (12 cores) or Ryzen 9 5950X (16) Both will sit happily on your motherboard. You will be very pleased... especially for your kind of work!

0 Likes

The 5800X is fine,Running R15 gets me too 76'c @21'c (normal room temp)Ambient.

Corsair 5000D airflow,LL120 fans set to 900RPM and a RX6700XT and a corsair H150i.Push only.

Get a better Cooler.

0 Likes