Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

A8-7680 R7 driver problem (?)

It's high time to admit (AMD) to have an A8-7680 processor in your portfolio, which I bought at official Polish distribution. This is an authentic AMD processor. It's high time to publish the official information about it on amd.com and immediately improve the graphics card drivers for Windows so that they work properly. As of today Radeon driver both the one automatically installed with Windows Update and the latest available 19.1.1 it does not work at all on Windows 7 and Windows 10. Bluescreen appears when installing, on a clean installation of Windows 10 bluescreen is already on the installation of drivers, and then on average every second run. On Windows 7 after installing the driver bluescreen appears every time. I don't write here about 3 frames per second in some game but about the operation of a brand new processor. Although how to work something that AMD doesn't admit and in principle Radeon drivers don't support this integrated R7 card ;-) ... because it doesn't exist :-). In the case of the open source amdgpu driver on Linux everything works properly. I attach a decoded kernel memory dump from Windows 10.

Is this the only place where I can report this type of problem to AMD?

If it's a hardware problem then I'm sorry for the reason in advance, but when you buy a processor, it's expected that the manufacturer will admit to it and provide drivers that at least the desktop of Windows will display stable :-).

18 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: A8-7680 R7 driver problem (?)

Downloaded and read your Memory Dump.

Do you have the latest BIOS installed for your Motherboard. FM2A68M-HD+

Try installing the AMD ALL in ONE Driver (I believe it also includes the CHIPSET Drivers) from Asrock for the new CPU: ASRock > FM2A68M-HD+ 

Strange that it works in a linux environment but not in Windows.  You should reset your Motherboard BIOS back to "Default" by removing the CMOS battery according to your Motherboard's manual. Make sure you don't have anything Overclocked which might cause BSODs.

When you upgraded the CPU did you upgrade any other hardware like RAM Memory or Hard Drive?

In AMD Download page I don't see a specific AMD Driver for the A8-7680 with R7. So I would download the AMD Driver from the Motherboard which should be compatible with the new APU. 

See if the Motherboard's Graphics driver works or not.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Hello, sorry for the rather emotional description of the situation.

Thank you for your answer and your suggestions.

I have the latest BIOS (5.10), because only it supports APU A8-7680 and the second dual core new APU. I updated this latest BIOS just after it was released that year. So far, I had an A4-6320 on board and replaced it with the A8-7680. Nothing else has changed. In UEFI, only the memory clock is set fixed according to their capabilities (similar to the A4-6320). With the A4-6320 both Windows and Linux worked properly. The only difference that appeared in UEFI after mounting the A8 is fTPM (this module works quite capriciously, so I reset UEFI to default settings by resetting from its own level).

After installing motherboard's graphics driver (so it also contains drivers for the southern bridge, PSP, USB, etc.) and restart = BSOD, one more restart OK, another: BSOD, etc.

If Windows starts correctly, everything is stable, even in challenging games. In Linux, the same games running with Steam Play work correctly. Loading Linux with video encoding and graphical benchmark = everything is stable.

I thought this is a BOX processor and will be supported like any AMD product with GCN. However, after your suggestion, it looks like this is more OEM and drivers are on the motherboard manufacturer's website (but do not work properly  ).

I suppose Linux can handle all this probably because amdgpu supports all graphics cards, both mobile and desktop, without any special optimization. And this APU is a quite untypical connection because it has GCN 1.2, Excavator cores and ... DDR3 instead of 4.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

When you say Windows starts once it is okay but if you restart it again it BSODs.  It doesn't BSOD as soon as you power up but rather when Windows starts loading drivers, Right?

I beginning to wonder if you may have some software that is not compatible with the video driver.

Try this for troubleshooting purposes only. It is simple and will eliminate 3rd party software causing the BSODs. 

Start you desktop in a "CLEAN" Windows desktop. This is similar to running Safe Mode except is has all startup programs "disabled" and most 3rd party drivers. Also disable your Anti-Virus to eliminate that possibility.

Here is how to do it: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows 

If you start up with a "Clean" boot and your BSOD ends and Windows starts up every time. Then start 'Enabling" half of the start up programs and see if the BSODs come back. Than do the other half and see if it BSODs. Then you can just use the process of elimination to find out what program is causing the problems.

Also a weak PSU could cause BSODs. What GPU Card and PSU Make & Model do you have installed if applicable. If no GPU card than most likely your PSU is strong enough unless you have a PSU of 300 watt or less installed.

If you are able to get Windows to boot up properly. Try stressing the APU, GPU, and PSU and see what results happens. I like using OCCT which stress tests the PSU besides the CPU and GPU. Furmark is another good one to use and Prime95 also for very severe testing of the CPU.

If you stress test the CPU, GPU or even the PSU and it BSODs during the test than you can find out or narrow down to see what caused it. I would install a monitoring software like Open Hardware or HWHardware to see what your temperatures, voltages, and other pertinent data is showing while the computer is under heavy stresss or load. 

Could be a Overheating or Power issue besides a Video Driver issue.

Also please post the exact BSODs Error messages or any error messages that pop up when the computer crashes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

My system is based on BeQuiet! Power System 7 400W. The computer includes: Asrock motherboard, which we have already talked about, 2x 4GB GoodRam 1866 MHz Dual Channel, CPU we are talking about, 2x DVD-RW, SSD + HDD. That's all.

The temperature measured on the heatpipe (by thermometer) right next to the CPU in stress does not exceed 40 degrees Celsius. CPU cooling is Cryorig M9A + thermoconductive paste with silver powder.

The error appears most likely when loading the graphics driver, because during one of the Radeon driver installations, just after trying to reload the new graphics driver, BlueScreen occurred.

I have 3 additional drives, so I installed new, clean installations on them: Windows 10 1803 x64, Windows 7 SP1 x64 and Vista x64.

Vista works without any problems, because there is no Radeon driver for R7 (from what I searched for) and runs on the standard driver.

Similarly Windows 7, until the installation of the Radeon driver. After installation, an error message is displayed each time until I uninstall the graphics card drivers in safe mode.

Windows 10 as the only one has built-in, working drivers for my network card, which causes that already during the last stage of installation there was an error as in the attached picture (I suspect that he tried to download drivers from the network, although I haven't met with something like that yet on 10). After installing Radeon drivers, every second restart/start is an error.

I attach a picture of the screen with an error we are talking about.

driver_fault_win_main.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

sounds like the APU might be defective or there is something that is not compatible. That is why I mentioned to boot into a "Clean" Desktop to eliminate any other 3rd party software or programs that could be interfering with the Graphics driver when it starts to load. 

If you install your APU on another compatible motherboard and see if the same thing happens. If it does it a good indication that the APU might be defective. If it doesn't and works fine with the APU Drivers installed than it is something wrong with your computer setup causing the APU drivers to BSOD when loaded.

Open an AMD SERVICE REQUEST from here: Online Service Request | AMD .  put a link to this thread to let them see all that you have done and see what they suggest.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Thank you very much for your help.

As I wrote earlier on clean, newly installed Windows 10 and 7, without anything, after installing the graphics card drivers from the Windows Update machine, the above mentioned error appears. The computer has changed only the CPU from A4-6320 to A8-7680. I have a different motherboard but A88X, which is not compatible with A8-7680.

I created a new AMD SERVICE REQUEST according to your suggestion.

Additional information after the two OCCT tests:

2019-02-10-11h36-Frequency-GPU #0.png

2019-02-10-11h36-Frequency-CPU #0.png

2019-02-10-12h35-Frequency-GPU #0.png

2019-02-10-12h35-Frequency-CPU #0.png

All graphs in the attachments.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

OCCT_2h.png

Screenshot_20190210_175831.png

2019-02-10-20h41-Frequency-GPU #0.png

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Sorry for the late reply. While running the CPU and PSU stress test, did your computer crash by any chance?

OCCT is showing GPU running quite hot:

I imagine it is referring to the APUs integrated GPU. Most likely a misread by OCCT.

If you said you made a clean Windows installation and as soon as the APU driver starts to load it BSODs.

At another Forum that specializes in BSODs, one of the Windows expert mentioned that if you made a clean installation of Windows and it BSODs that generally indicates hardware problem or failure. Since there are no 3rd party programs installed or drivers except the APU driver, in your case.

Could be incompatible RAM Memory in conflict with the new APU. If your RAM Memory is not compatible with the new APU, it could cause BSODs to occur or your computer not to boot up.  I noticed that your RAM is not listed in your motherboard's QVL list: ASRock > FM2A68M-HD+ .

In fact I see only one RAM Memory of 1866 Mhz Speed in the QVL List:

Try using only one RAM Stick on the primary RAM MEMORY Slot and see if it BSODs.

The QVL list is a list that the manufacturer tested the hardware for compatibility and other issues. If it is listed it means that hardware (RAM for instance) is fully compatible with the motherboard and BIOS.

If it is not listed it could mean two possibilities:

1) The hardware was tested and found not to be compatible

2) The hardware hasn't been tested yet for compatibility issues and thus is not listed.

So your RAM Memory would fall into one of the above categories.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Also I would update your Windows 10 to the latest version 1809. AMD Drivers work with the latest Windows version installed and Windows completely updated via Windows Update.

0 Kudos