cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Koyote7667
Challenger

7800x3d and asus MOBO burning issue

Wondering if anyone can help me. Ive had a 7800x3d 2 days after launch. A asus x670e-e since november. Running ddr5 6000 cl30 (gskill), pbo, expo1, and even expo2, and even tried expo tweaked. Rigs been great. Killer in fact. Making fun of my buddies builds, and even a 4090 build , me and the ole lady share, with fps in COD. 

Why hasnt my junk burned up yet?? What have i done wong? 

(ran bios 1003 for a spell, then 1202) 

What is wrong with this 7800x3d??What is wrong with this 7800x3d??

Please advise. And TIA. 

KB

0 Likes
37 Replies
AllenjogTaipei
Journeyman III

I believe you provide a good thermal solution.

To burn Raphael X3D CPU, you have to raise SOC voltage up to 1.4 - 1.45 V and have a bad thermal solution.

https://www.techpowerup.com/307890/amd-releases-second-official-statement-regarding-ryzen-7000x3d-is...

Interesting. I tried manually upping SOC. I can go to the moon but it still stays under. Now I’m really bummed out. 

0 Likes

I manually raised it to 1.6... and nothing?? what gives ? It sat around 1.39???  Why?

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

I have a similar Rig but with the 7950X, lowered yesterday vSoC to 1.22 to play on the safe side.

Also lowered vCore to minus 1.2 as well to keep the temps down and running a custom power values. I do have a 240 AIO, which is not the best suited but not getting high temperatures either. 

Did not affected boosting abilities but I do have a bit less Cinebench score because limited PPT value. 

You can check voltages on HWiNFO just to be sure.

I Believe the latest BIOS restricts X3D to 1.3 vSoC but not sure. 

Good luck 

The Englishman

Ya, I did t lower anything. I even increased a few things. And nothing. What a bummer. 

It is seeming like it isn't as widespread as many believe, either that or the issue was fixed fast. Derbauer made a pretty good video about the situation.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

For fun,.. i manually upped soc to 1.6 ... guess what happened. It didnt go there......... 

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

I did said they are limiting it.. 

_20230430_033228.JPG

FujqM7FagAA3VkG.png

The Englishman

I nearly bricked a friends PC today, because the manual told me the wrong way to name the BIOS on the thumbdrive. Luckily BIOS Flashback exists.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

BIOS Flashback is a savior sent from high heavens. You can even do it without a CPU or memory slotted in.

The Englishman

I feel like it should be on every board $150 USD or more.

Im going to try and load your taichi bios in my board. Lets see what happens. 

EDIT- the manual ? or on web site? Because you cant even see the "wrong" way on the site, if you have the correct board loaded

0 Likes

The manual said to name the BIOS file one way, being with .cap at the end, but the renamer.exe named it the right way. I was helping him over the phone and we had to wait for his room mate to get home because it wouldn't post after we tried to load the BIOS that was named with the .cap on the end. After that we used the renamer and it didn't have the file type on the end, and it worked.

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

It was the right file just the wrong name made the PC unable to post. The bios flashback led was solid green and the PC refused to post until he could access another PC to use the Renamer.exe file. Then to make it more fun his VGA light on his board was lit up with no video signal out until we tried the HDMI instead of the DP port. It was a whole thing that would have been easily fixed if he were here because I have another PC just for troubleshooting. 

0 Likes
Koyote7667
Challenger

Odd... you should not even be able to load a bios, that doesnt belong to a certain board.  Maybe ill try and load a wrong board, 3 year old bios in and see what happens. 

0 Likes

It was the right file just named incorrectly as per the manual instructions.

0 Likes

It was the manual for the Asus Prime X670E Pro Wifi. We tried using Fat32, Fat16, and changing to MBR, bit with the file name PX670ERW.CAP it would not install the BIOS, and it wouldn't post. Luckily the BIOSrenamer.exe fixed it and after using that to rename the file it worked correctly.

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I never had issues updating BIOS ever before this incident.

0 Likes

Odd. I was able to update to 1202, 1303 and now 1401 easy peasy. Click and go. 

0 Likes

I think it was a combination of factors, and the fact that I was telling someone on the phone how to do it. It was an ordeal, but now they are running a BIOS that should fix the burning out issue. It was just a weird situation all around.

0 Likes

I agree my friend. I totally agree. What i do NOT like? Is asus, saying hey "run our bios", then hey, our older bios may have a issue, and then saying "Hey, run our new bios, to help that, but, you are signing a "waiver now" that if something happens (you know, on a bios that should fix this) you are liable. That, is complete horse **bleep**, and bad bizz, as far as im concerned. 

For those that dont know, when running their 1401 new bios, to "help fix this soc or whatever issue"  you now have to click a "ok, its on me" type of header, before you can load the bios, that is suppose to make this not be a thing. Really really **bleep**ty imho. I can post a screen shot of it/the header, that ive never ever EVER seen before, simply loading in a updated bios from asus. Really uncool. And, being a ROG,.. ASUS dude for a while now, that is really putting me off the product. 

0 Likes
Koyote7667
Challenger

 This, is bull**bleep**, and they deserve all the black lash they are getting atm online  and I am the biggest ASUS / ROG nut rider there is. And this is BS 

IMG_1322.jpeg

IMG_1322.jpeg

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOOLL

Ok, you are in the .0000000010 percent, that thinks this is "cool, doesnt bother you at ALL!!!!!.   

EL OH FUGGIN EL  

Good god. 

0 Likes

No, It does not. Read my last post and you will learn why. There is always time to learn. LOL

The Englishman
0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

Since XMP/DOCP/EXPO is considered overclocking this is normal procedure from their end. Does not bother me at all! And every moderate to serious tinkerer, tweaker or overclocker will know this and move along.

Intel did the same with XMP, you can check it here on their official support forums at community.intel.com 

johnnyenglish_0-1683194168768.png

I'm much more sad at current quality control of ASUS, specially RoG. From the RoG 5700XT heasink issue, RoG Z690 severe fire hazard and now allowing more voltage on AUTO than its necessary plus the OCP being useless. Lately I feel its been a kind of lottery, either you WIN BIG or you LOSE BIG.

But they aren't alone here, Gigabyte has been even worse with their ticking bombs and the the recent nvidia power plug issue.

johnnyenglish_4-1683197471406.png

johnnyenglish_1-1683194409551.png

Conclusion

Its time for buyers to take action, do smart shopping or don't do it at all! We all know the "RoG TAX" that is why every product from RoG I own was bough with a massive discount and not at full price.
(I bough Ryujin AIO for 79 instead of +200)
But this goes for every brand including nvidia, that is not a brand anymore, they are the scalpers now.

johnnyenglish_3-1683195231429.png

The Englishman

I agree, and the notification in the BIOS doesn't suprise me. I knew XMP would void Intel warranties so it was only a matter of time before someone did this. 

You are correct, in that all of these companies are scalpers now. People paid scalper prices and now people like myself who paid scalper prices are to blame. No one person did this. This was a large portion of the PC building community as a whole, who chose to ignore the warnings of others, or they needed the upgrades because they had to work from home for an extended period and their PC was not up to the task. 

Back to the main topic of discussion, this BIOS revision, that now requires you to click through a notification of sorts, is going to become commonplace to cover the possible mistakes that board manufacturers don't want to pay for or address. That is what I predict will happen. 

Typically, once a precedence like this is set, everyone else follows suit. While this is unfortunate, it would only make sense.

I just hope the Ryzen 8000 chips and B750E boards are well priced and quality controlled, so I can skip this potential issue. If this bungled mess continues, I may not upgrade until I can't play the games that I want to play anymore, which will likely be a long time from now with the advent of FSR, and upscaling technology.  

This kind of issue needs to be completely resolved very quickly, and measures need to be taken to ensure this will never have the possibility of happening again. 

While I know the sample size is small, this is a catastrophe. I love AMD and their products, availability, and price to performance. I can only hope the entirity of the issue is resolved.

GN found there were multiple failures on the boards that this happened to. All of those failures need to be addressed and corrected, not just SoC limits. OCP was not working. In the videos I watched, the chips failed to shutdown when they were pushed past the maximum operating temperatures. There was more than just a single failure. 

AMD did adress the issue and prioritized cases of this happening. I am impressed. I hope RoG and the other board partners this happened with impress me aswell. 

Koyote7667
Challenger

Agree. I am a ROG nut hugger. Have been for years. But this, really pissed me off. 
"hey dont use these bios's , they can poop on your chip, But, here is a new bios that solves that, but the ONLY way you can use it, is you must sign off on it saying, if anything at all goes wrong, its on you, and was your fault".

Im on the ROG forums also, and i let them have it "in a mellow way". Its bull**bleep**. No but's about it. Really pisses me off. They should have my back, just like ive had theirs the last 5 plus years. 

So I have the asus rog strix x670e and 7800x3d. I'm on the latest stable bios 1303, which is said to limit the SOC, which I checked and it stays at 1.279. I also have DOCP enabled. Is there anything else I should to do prevent the burn issue? DOCP is enabled, but not sure if I have to change any of the stock DOCP settings at all.

I would check VDDIO/MC.

But I would also relax a bit, there is a big hype going, failure rate is very minimal. Still, less voltage is always better if it does not compromises stability. 

Try following this video as I'm doing just fine with 1.2v on both

https://youtu.be/EF76fdyx6fs 

The Englishman

Well, for me, im not as much as upset with AMD, as i am with my board maker. Ive been a huge ROG (asus)  D-rider for a while. What im REALLY pissed off about, is the board maker (Asus x670e-e) being a s s  hats about it. A new bios version, does NOTHING. Not to mention, the newest bios, has a "hey its on you prompt". So, they say the other bios had issues, but, load and use this one, ...... you have to click to (again, on you) even get it to load/use.  Its big time scummy and BS.....   

Not to mention, what you are "seeing" in the bios, isnt even the actual voltage. Neat eh????????

Beta bios for the win, and ASUS/ROG (a company ive defended to the end, have monitors, psus, routers, and many other parts of gear, hell i even had a ALLY pre bought, and, pulled that back) is acting like complete as s  holes.... Period. I will run this rig as is, and if/when it takes a dump, i will throw the board, and cpu in the garbage, and get a MSI board, and most likely go intel. Im sick of this bs.  

Also, in the video you posted, I cant even CHANGE any of that. It is all locked,. Weird.  But, cheers. 

Again, .... fugging ASUS.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ-QVOKGVyM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF76fdyx6fs

Man, watching Gamers Nexus thorough dive into the bios issues makes me feel better about sticking with my AM4 build and getting a 5800x3d. I do feel for all the 7000 series owners that invested in the platform only to be treated as poorly by Asus (a brand that I have trusted for many years).

How can they release a beta bios and call it good ? Are they hoping 8000 series will sweep this under the rug ? I just don't understand their response strategy to this problem. 

A beta bios, that you must "click ok" on,.. to even get to load/use the thing. lol,... Its just flat silly. Especially when they have deleted other bios (2 that i used), and also changed "wording" in several gear specific info pages. Just really a bummer. 

That is really strange, I know they removed positive offset but they did not removed manual vSOC and VDDIO, just limit it to 1.3. The vCore manual was removed, that I do know. Only has negative Offset now. 

Oh well....

I'm not encouraging you to downgrade but if you really want it, there are older versions going around reddit. Lots of people that DO know what they are doing, don't want the manual control taken away.

The "warranty" message thing was clearly a bad stunt but has a very credible explanation, they are taking that thing away now.

They also said warranties will be honored even if its a Beta BIOS or it has EXPO enabled.

min 6:56

The Englishman
macksy
Journeyman III

i am looking to do a major upgrade and have always been asus/rog - amd, i was/am going with the 7950x3d and an asus tuf x670e mobo, this has me a little concerned, but correct me if i am wrong, all the issues seem to arrive from overclocking, i am going with 128gb 5200 ram (corsair vengeance) and for me i am thinking it will be enough without the need to overclock, also will have the hi150 liquid cooling system on it, guessing my question (finally) is should this be ok? am i right in the issues arising from overclocking?

0 Likes
Koyote7667
Challenger

So, even as of today, still running fine. And have my memory at 6200 cl30. With some asus timings. Its been fine. The 1416 bios update, STILL had my soc well over 1.3, and my vddio well over 1.4. It ran fine like that for a week, then, i did manually lower them. For fun.  Nothing has happened here on my end, but, sheesh. IMG_1261.jpg

0 Likes
Koyote7667
Challenger

Replying  errrrr, adding to this. For me, and this junk, this thing is running fan effin-tastic.  Gaming fps is (especially the 1st lows, and heck, overall) wicked up. And, all it does is work. Zero crashing, zero issues. Turn it on, do my thing. I LOVE it. (all the 7800x3d scores are mine,  but the 4.35,and 4.33 had some odd issues you can find, in another post i made here) EDIT- the only score that was 3mins, is the one here, all others where the 10 or 30min test)

But, i can consistantly bang 185xx in a 10, 30, 2 hour test, and its dead nuts reliable. 

Asus x670e-e/ddr5-6000 cl30 at 6200 Hynix 6200 timings/7800x3d/7900xtx/seasonic titanum 1000/artic 360/pbo/-33curvO 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9jCA3w1wEs&t=254s

6-2-23.jpg

Love this **bleep** thing.... love it. 

KB

0 Likes