cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

NBlast
Journeyman III

7600X / X670e Asus TUF - Wild instability. Benchmark crashes. Windows Bluescreens.

Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti (AD104-400) [ASUS]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI

BIOS Version: Previously 0807, Currently 0821

Crossposting this for different places, since I don't know exactly where is the best location to ask for help with my problem. I'm a fresh 7600X owner and sadly, I have disheartening problems with my setup. I hope for getting clues what exactly goes on. I hope you don't mind.

Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti (AD104-400) [ASUS]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI

BIOS Version: Previously 0807, Currently 0821

RAM: 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6000MHZ CL36 (F5-6000J3636F16G)

PSU: beQuiet! Pure Power 12 M

Case: Fractal Pop Air

Operating System & Version: WINDOWS 10

GPU Drivers: GEFORCE GAME READY DRIVER - WHQL Driver Version: 528.49

Chipset Drivers: 4.1.02.829

Background Applications: Steam

Description of Original Problem: System degrades it's stability depending on the current max clock setting in PBO options in Motherboard's BIOS. Ranging from outright Windows Bluescreens on "default" clock boost values (5.450GHZ - yes, it's weird, I will explain), to crashes in Time Spy at -100MHz, to crashes on 4K display in Forza Horizon 5 benchmark at -150MHz, to seemigly normal operation at -200MHz.

Troubleshooting: The best way to explain the situation would be to describe every single action I took so far.

1. PC was build in a electronic store. Due to shortages of parts, store provided everything except PSU, SSD, Cooler and Case. Those elements were purchased separately

2. Store build the PC, turned on XMP profiles, installed Win10 and tested the system on some unspecified benchmark.

3. Brought PC to home. Started testing. System worked well.

4. Started testing on Time Spy and FH5. Had crashes: 3DMark aborted tests and FH5 crashed to desktop

5. Investigated. Disabled XMP profiles in BIOS first. Frequency of crashes lowered, but didn't dissapear.

6. Updated MoBO's BIOS from 0807 to 0821. No dice

7. Found this thread: https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/amd-7600x-am5-7000-platform-instability/td-p/567604 with similar symptoms. Per information there, I turned that option, not exactly knowing what it does. Max CPU Boost Clock Override (-) = 150. I'm not that knowledgeable in overclocking. I was thinking that my MoBo was configured so no additional OC was set up.

8. Question 1: Why does exactly this ASUS motherboard allows up to 5450MHz Boost clock?! I thought that 5.3GHz is allowed max without OCing.

9. Question 2: What does AUTO option in PBO settings exactly entails? So far I had it to auto. I have no idea if that makes PBO turned on or off by default.

10. Testing at -150. Enabled XMP again. Every benchmark passed with flying colors!

11. Side Question 1: There was a minor issue that made Steam turning on extremely slow, with iGPU enabled in Device Manager. I disabled the iGPU. This might be a Steam bug?

12. Next day: Hooked up 4K TV. FH5 benchmarks started failing again.

13. Went to BIOS. Set up -200 for a limit

14. Tests returned to normal. No crashes in FH5 or in HL: Alyx for that matter.

15. Next day: Decided to do more investigations. Wanted to try a MemTEST86

16. Went to BIOS. Wanted to go for the default settings so I reset it to "Optimized Defaults" per Asus BIOS

17. Windows went haywire. Bluescreens everywhere. Different reasons. I cannot stay in system for more than 30 seconds. Using WhoCrashed app to highlight issues, those are several of errors I have got: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY, SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

18. Enabling/Disabling seems to have no effect.

19. Reducing clock speeds by -150 seemed to make Bluescreens go away.

20. Making PBO: DISABLED in BIOS, triggered Bluescreens again.

21. Tried MemTEST86. When CPU clock speed was limited by -200, both on/off XMP profiles passed test with no issue.

22. MemTEST when CPU clock was not limited (Auto). I don't remember exactly, but it seemed that non-XMP test passed, but having Auto PBO settings and XMP made either immidiate test errors or I couldn't enter MemTEST at all (stuck on Calculating Memory/CPU speeds)

23. Update: On PBO Auto with no clock throttling, I even managed to crash BIOS once.

I hope for some explanations what the hell is going on here. I would much appreciate any clearing on this issue

0 Likes
1 Reply
GreyWind
Journeyman III

i had the exact same issue, but mine is stable with -100 in PBO. Absurd right?. But what can we do, i am guessing this is an AMD problem. motherboard: gigabyte b650i and 6000mhz corsair c36

0 Likes