cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mpugliese
Adept I

5950x with high idle temperatures

I built my computer with an R9 5950x but I have high temperatures of 75° when the computer is idle.
The funny thing is that when I run Cinebench tests and push the processor, the temperature drops to 55°-60°, and I can't find a solution to the problem.

I've been thinking about a bad placement of the thermal paste (the original Noctua one that comes with the heatsink I bought).
Besides, the unit has 2 fans, one on the top panel and another one on the front panel of the cabinet. I also did the test disassembling a panel to see if it's a problem of bad air circulation, but it's still the same.

I detail below the components.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-PLUS GAMING
RAM: Kingston FURY Beast 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 3600MHz
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GT 80+ Gold 850W
VGA: MSI RTX3070 Ventus 3X
Case: Be Quiet! Pure Base 500DX
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax

Thank you in advance for any help.

0 Likes
8 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

mpugliese, I hope you are not measuring temperatures with a third party application. Please post screenshots of Ryzen Master (RM) both idle and running Cinebench R23. Images of RM only please. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I'm not at home at the moment but I will share screenshots of Ryzen Master tomorrow. Thank you for your response.

0 Likes

Thanks,  mpugliese. I am happy to try to help. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
mpugliese
Adept I

I share screenshots from Ryzen Master and also from Asus Armory Crate.

You can see both the computer at 75° when idle, and within 3 seconds of running Cinebench it drops to 55° approx. I also just noticed that when idle there is always one core running at high speeds, not always the same one.

The BIOS is version 4408.

FansFansCinebench runningCinebench runningIdleIdle

0 Likes

Change your Windows Power plan to "Balanced" and then set in that plan:

Processor State Minimum: 5%

Processor State Maximum: 100%

Now see if at idle the processor still has at least one core maxed out in frequency.

Thanks, mpugliese. When "idling" you are not. One core is at almost full speed. So, something is running like crazy. I suspect your temperature goes down when running CB because the MB fan speed management is afoul. This is one reason why I run all my fans and pump at full speed all the time. CB is throttling the processor due to the red meters at the top of RM. Enjoy, John.CB is throttling the processor due to the red meters at the top of RM.

mpugliese
Adept I

I found a solution to the problem, the AMD chipset drivers were missing and also reseted the power plan. At the moment it is at 36° the temperature when idle, I hope it stays that way.

Thanks for all the answers and help!

Thanks, mpugliese. Glad it is resolved. I am sure you had chip set drivers, probably from Microsoft and down level. Enjoy, John.