cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Khelics
Journeyman III

5950x High Temps

I recently upgraded from a 3900x to a 5950x and experiencing very high temperatures and constant frequency fluctuations. On idle the CPU runs around 65-70 degrees Celsius with no application open with a Lian Li Galahad 360 AIO. I also noticed that on idle the temps would increase and then decrease randomly instead of staying constant-ish. The frequency also as well increases and decreases non stop no matter what I do even on idle bouncing around between 3.9ghz to 4.5ghz. When gaming the temps almost max out at 90 degrees Celsius and this is playing at 1440p on low settings with non demanding games. I know the 5950x is a hot chip but I feel like it shouldn't be this hot. When running cinebench temps stay around 72 degrees Celsius lower than when gaming which is weird.

I have the AIO as an exhaust on the top of my case with 6 intake fans and 3 exhaust fans (AIO fans). I was wondering if this could be a defective chip, BIOS problem, bad MOBO maybe, or bad AIO. I dont believe my BIOS has the latest update shown on MSI's website, but is it necessary that I update it to the latest version even though my pc boots up and works with the 5950x?

Some things that I have tried to do was re seat the AIO, undervolted the CPU negative offset of -0.1 with PBO disabled, tried different brand of thermal paste and re-installed windows. Doing those things showed no change to temps or anything. If anyone can help me with this problem it would be much appreciated

My Specs: 

Case: Lian Li 011 Dynamic

MOBO: MSI x570 tomahawk wifi (has a 5000 series ready sticker)

CPU: 5950x

Cooler: Lian Li Galahad 360

PSU: Corsair RM850x 

RAM: G Skill Trident Royal 32 gb 

0 Likes
4 Replies
Angeluk
Challenger

Try to reinstall cooler, it must be around 40 degrees on idle. Also try to undervolt.

0 Likes
Thomasdk1405
Adept III

Hi - 65-70 in idle - then there is a problem with the thermal paste ! Ryzen cpu's have large IHS / surface that cools the cpu - you need to make sure all is covered. Perhaps spread the paste and do not use the pea method or whatever you do. I just used thermal grizzy kryonaut on my 5800x3d (hot one). Also add'ed extra fans on cooler and exhaust and it knocked down the temp 6-10 degrees. You have AIO cooler - same as my son - not long ago he had same problem and if you google that model a lot have problems with that cooler - the pump die - you can make an RMA for the company directly and so did he. After 3 weeks he got brand new for free and temps went down to normal. When you mess with this one - as in transport / replace cpu you could risk bubbles inside the radiator and that is poison to cooling.

But try to google this model and pump problems and see. All they want is serial # - date of purchase and your address. Good luck !

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

Troubleshoot your AIO pump.

Open the side panel, go to bios, lower all other fans and increase the pump speed. 

You should notice an increase in sound near the block, like a buzzing sound.

If you don't, then you have a pump failure. 

The Englishman
0 Likes
Khelics
Journeyman III

It turned out that my AIO had a clog in it. From what I have heard the Lian Li aios tend to have premature clogging. I changed the AIO out and now it runs great. idle depending on the ambient temp around 45-50 degrees celsius 

0 Likes