Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

jhughes2466
Journeyman III

5950X Boot into OS then Orange DRAM Light and loss of signal

So here's one.  

I am running latest BIOS (ASUS Dark Hero x570) and I was able to boot, install Windows and install the first round of updates.  Then after that, it would load the windows start screen where you put in your PIN or Password, and once that was input an orange light on the motherboard (DRAM Error) would come on, the power to the keyboard would stop, and the monitor would stop getting signal.  No matter what I did, it would do this every single time... however, every now and then it would let me into windows for 2-15 seconds before doing this.

I checked every stick of ram individually.  I tried everything.   Then someone mentioned the "auto OC" that's enabled by default for AMD chips.  So I went into BIOS and turned all of that off, set my RAM speed to 3600 and infinity fabric to match (18).

Since then the system has been stable and running.  But this seems to me to indicate there is something with the CPU.  So I'm exchanging the 5950x for a new one to test.  But once I started thinking about it... could it still be the mobo or the Power Supply?  As in, when it ramps up on the OC for the CPU, could the power supply just not be able to keep up?  It's a 1000W Platinum EVGA PSU.

I need a sanity check here.

Specs:

Case: Thermaltake P8
Mobo: ASUS Dark Hero x5770
PSU: EVGA 1000W Platinum
RAM: 4x 32GB sticks of Trident Royal Z Elite
GPU: Temporary for testing (Geforce 1050ti)
CPU: AMD 5950x

The only controllers I'm using are for the Thermaltake fans and they are going into a Thermaltake core commander and then into a USB hub which is then going into the USB header on the mobo.  

0 Likes
7 Replies

Is your RAM listed under the Asus QVL List for 5000 series processors?

If it is see if the RAM can be overclocked and how many DIMM slots it is compatible to be populated by that specific RAM Part number.

Sound like the RAM you have installed was  mis-configured causing the issues.

0 Likes

Understand what is at fault here.

When someone mentions that Auto OC is actually an Overclock, and thus your system is running Outside of specifications.

One turns off the overclock and everything is fine.

However now it is time to blame, Processor chip, Motherboard, possibly power supply and/or Ram.

Please, if you decide to overclock do so gently.   It is better to get 1 crash per 15 minutes than to crash in 3 seconds.

Your board is pointing out that you have a problem with your memory subsystem.

So you should be looking into:   (probably in this order, for ease and likely hood of being the culprit)

* Ram seating, and any dust in the Dimm socket.

*  Memory Frequency

*  Timings   (initially set to BIOS optimized defaults)

*  VSoc voltage  (you may want to set the slightest positive differential)

* VCore voltage  (again you may want to set the slightest positive differential)

* Just for the heck of it,   go into Control Panel ===> Power  Options ==> click "Change plan settings" for the active plan 

==> click change advanced power settings ==> expand Processor Power Management ==>

==> expand "Minimum Processor State"  ==> view the setting, Windows has on Two occasions set mine to 90%

* If you continue to have problems, try one stick, try the other, and/or try another slot 

(But remember , read the MB manual as normally one cannot insert a Dimm into the 2 slot for a channel)

Good Luck

0 Likes

One other thing I just noticed.

You are running four 32GB sticks in your system.

You know that it is MUCH harder to get 4 sticks running at speed than it is two?

Read your Motherboard Manual for Memory population carefully...

Motherboards typically tell you to downgrade the speed on certain conditions.

*  If you fill two Dimms in a given channel they might tell you to drop the frequency from 3200MHz down to 2699MHz

*  Since those are Humongous sticks,   How many Ranks are on a single stick?

The more Ranks you have in a channel, the slower you have to run the Ram (either slower freq, or looser timings)

* I doubt XMP or DOCP will take into account that you are running 4 sticks  (I could be wrong here)

XMP would probably read it's individual profile, that probably was set for Dual channel.

0 Likes

So that makes me question it... I tried various configs with 1 stick of ram at a time, and nothing seemed to work until I stopped the CPU auto OC built into the mobo.  The 2nd pieces where I set the RAM configuration, seemed at the time ancillary to the problem, but that it was a fault related to the mobo, CPU, or PSU.  I tried the RAM sticks in another build (Intel) and they were fine as well.

When I stopped letting the mobo auto OC the CPU, that was what seemed to stabilize the system.  I guess because I did also lock in the max frequency on the RAM sticks (3600) that also could have stabilized it, but it should have been running and looked to be running at default 3200 anyway.  

On the QVL it says voltage at 1.35 but I believe it was a bit lower than that when I looked at the specific settings.   

https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/299/1582267895/F4-3600C18Q-128GTRS-Qvl

So now you have me wondering, was the CPU the culprit?  What I dont' get is... why when it failed would I lose power to the keyboard (all lights go off) and also lose video signal to the monitor?

0 Likes

Why when you failed did you lose power to the keyboard and the fans?

That's easy, the CPU shut down the system.

Crashing is the ultimate protection.

Just because the Ram worked on another motherboard, doesn't mean it will just plop in another.

Each Motherboard sets dozens of timings for memory.

And you chose to include gobs in your build.    There is as much memory in one socket of one channel that most people put in their whole system.   It takes time to go through those ranks and rows.   This is about straightening out your timings.

You might also have to tinker with your cpu settings, but at first blush it is about BIOS timings not faulty hardware.

0 Likes

Ok, let me focus.    If this were my system here is what I would do.

First you are getting indications from the DRAM LED that there is a problem with Memory, and you are running a bunch of it.

However,  your system shutting down when trying to ramp up sounds like a starvation of current.

Attacking this as if it were two problems, memory timing and problem boosting CPU.

1 *** Get the memory somewhat reasonable.

Insert only two sticks in the correct slots, so that you are running dual channel.

Set Memory Frequency to 3200MHz and let all the timing parameters go to Auto.

You know that any memory running over 3200MHz is an Overclock, and pushing 64 Gigs through two channels is

a bit of a task.  (But a whole lot easier than 128 Gigs through the same two channels.)

2.  Set CPU multiplier to Auto.

Set VCore from Auto to Normal.

(the differential should now be open for input)   Select the smallest possible positive increment   .006V

Set VSoc from Auto to Normal

(the differential should now be open for input)   Select the smallest possible positive increment   .006V

3.   Set Core Performance boost to Auto     (We don't want to continue to gimp your system)

Set PBO to Advanced

Set PBO Limits to Manual

Leave TDC at 95A    and Leave EDC at 140A

However Lower PPT from 142W to 120W       (This should discourage the CPU from shifting to the very top frequencies)

Set Platform Thermal Throttle Limit to "Manual"

Set the new field  that just appears to 75      (The Ryzen is great at obeying your wishes as to how how you would allow)

I believe this would keep you stable, with very limited loss of power.  Try it.  I think you will like it.

Good Luck.

0 Likes

@jhughes2466 wrote:

On the QVL it says voltage at 1.35 but I believe it was a bit lower than that when I looked at the specific settings.   

You mean the motherboard was not using 1.35V for memory?  That could certainly cause problems if it's only running say standard 1.2V which is meant for JEDEC speeds.  Pretty much all memory that runs at 3200 and up needs at least 1.35V.  So input that voltage manually just to make sure.

0 Likes