Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

lando1
Adept I

5900x temps

lando1_0-1687842551006.png

just curious if its normal that i should be expecting these types of spikes in temps on the 5900x. highest ive seen it spike is 91c

0 Likes
24 Replies
Awol
Challenger

What are you running when you get these temps, mine is the below at idle.

Awol_0-1687845010929.png

0 Likes

gaming temps. it never spikes to 90 in just idle regular use. 

0 Likes
Chester1994
Challenger

High for my taste, but not on the dangerous side of heat yet. However, I always suggest turning frame limiters on.

For example, I can run CS GO at 250 fps in certain maps. I simply cap it to 200 since I can´t find the difference in a frame times after that.

0 Likes
MrMafoo
Adept II

I have the 7900XT and the 5900X in a small form factor PC, so lots of thermal constraints, and I never see those temps while gaming. What cooler are you using? Also, usually, games don't tax the CPU that much. You would see high temps like that on CPU workloads.

0 Likes

noctua cooler NH-U12A which is more than sufficient. diablo 4 and battlefield 2042 mostly lately. both spike temps up to this. it never sits at 90 it just kinda spikes then drops back kinda weird.

0 Likes

According to Noctua your CPU Cooler is strong enough to prevent your processor from overheating: https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/AMD-Ryzen-9-5900X-1045

Screenshot 2023-06-27 100059.png

Your 5900X Maximum Operating Temperature is 90c so you are getting very close to the processor to start throttling when it goes above 88c.

I would check for proper CPU Cooler installation, Add a second CPU Cooler fan in a Push-Pull configuration, Clean out all PC case Air filters and make sure the CPU Cooler Heat Sink is clean and the fan also.

If you remove the side panel and the temperature of the CPU slightly decreases that would indicate poor air circulation inside your PC.

Adding a second CPU Cooler fan will also help air circulation inside your PC besides removing more heat from the heat sink.

In my opinion your processor shouldn't reach it maximum operating temperature under any type of loads with the proper CPU Cooler installed. 

What results do you get when you Stress test the Processor?

Try using OCCT CPU (small package) Test and see how high your CPU temps goes to and the speed of the CPU Cooler fan is running at.

0 Likes

Yea, something is not right. Could it be the thermal paste didn't flow right, or the cooler is not sitting flat? My main game at the moment is D4, and the CPU sits is under 10% util, and under 80 degrees. 

MrMafoo_0-1687879565255.png

ive repasted and reseated this thing 3 times. and cinebench/stress testing temps dont go over 72-73 lmao its literally only gaming makes no sense.

0 Likes

is there any way you can run HWinfo for a bit in d4 and see what your max temps get to?

0 Likes

Sure.  I hope that's enough info

stats.jpg

0 Likes

looks like this site made the image smaller, so hard to read... I have 2 4K monitors, so kind of a large image... here is the data by itself:

MrMafoo_1-1687883506757.png

0 Likes
Angeluk
Challenger

try to reinstall cpu cooler, usually helps

0 Likes
Awol
Challenger

I do get some spikes but never more than 51 degrees when playing BF2042, normally more like the below

Awol_0-1687867398712.png

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

As always, temperatures are hard to compare. 

There are so much variables, Cooler, case, case airflow, type of fan, well seated, ambient temperature, thermal paste, gpu cooling... Yes, tower air coolers are easily heat soaked by graphics cards.

Tweaking... 

To put things into perspective, i dont get higher than 70 ish with a 7950X on a 240 AIO.

For starters.. 1,48 vCore is too much. Either you undervolt that CPU or curve optimize it. Or both. 

Also, the cooler is enough, not overwhelming, its just OK ish in my opinion. 

I have some videos, ill share later. Its really easy.

In the meantime share more details of the system. 

The Englishman
0 Likes

those are stock vcore voltages for this cpu.

0 Likes

also not able to undervolt this cpu due to silicon lottery.

0 Likes

What technique did you used?

Manual, Offset, curve optimizer?

Its always possible to undervolt even if it just a tiny little margin down to -0,01v Offset.

I tried that on silicon losers as well. 

The Englishman
0 Likes
lando1
Adept I

manual bios curve optimizer per core offset.

0 Likes

Thats what I asked, was it manual, curve optimizer or Offset. 

Manual is: manually set vCore, usually done in fixed Clocks but not exclusively, applies a steady voltage all the time. 

Offset, board call the shots, this is not curve optimizer. If you put in minus 0,05, then when the CPU wants 1,45v board delivers 1,4v instead. This wont bump up performance durectly as curve optimizer does.

Then there is Curve Optimizer that can be done on all core or per core. 

The Englishman
0 Likes

curve optimizer in bios.

0 Likes

Instead of Curve Optimizer, try just offsetting with a negative -0.05 or -0.1 and see if it crashes.

If all goes well you can shave some C°

The Englishman
0 Likes
lando1
Adept I

so i sold old cpu and replaced with a brand new 5900x and temp problems and everything resolved. lol just a faulty cpu

That would explain why your CPU Cooler was able to keep your processor from getting hot.

Honestly, that would have been the last thing I would have believed to be a bad CPU.

The CPU probably had a defective Thermal sensor on it which was giving out much higher temperatures then it actually was.

You had a 3 year AMD Warranty on that processor and could have RMAed it first to see if AMD would give you a replacement.

0 Likes

ya but didnt wanna have to wait 3 weeks. i spoke to them and they asked me to RMA it actually due to some other blue screen issues that they nailed down as being an actual CPU issue. 3 weeks too long. need to grind that diablo. LOL