cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

hokenpoke
Adept I

5900x only stable when undervolted

I replaced a 3700x with a 5900x on a MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC and have found that is it only stable when I undervolt.

With stock settings it will boot but as soon as I apply even a moderate load it would instantly lock up.  I experimented with using PBO/Curve Optimizer starting at -15 and eventually found that I could get a full run of Cinebench R23 at -17.

It doesn't look to me like a VRM issue - voltages have been stable and the temp stayed below 75C during the successful R23 run.  Everything else I can monitor on the board looks nominal.

It seems to me that it should be able to run stock at full load without kaking.  Have I got a funky processor or is there something else I should try?

0 Likes
1 Solution

I did swap at MicroCenter for a new piece.  Props there - very easy, no issues.  The new piece runs fine without undervolt though, of course I will be undervolting for all the right reasons.  Guess it was just a marginal unit.  Now I can wait a little before getting that B550 motherboard that I've always wanted.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

By under volting you are running the processor cooler thus passing Cinebench stress test.

I would put everything back to normal on the processor taking away the under voltage settings and then run OCCT CPU test and watch the tempertures to see at what temperature your processor freezes at.

Also run the GPU test and see if your GPU is overheating which can cause freezing.

Then run the PSU Test and again keep a watch on Temperatures, Fan speeds, and PSU Outputs.

What is the Make & Model of your CPU Cooler that you have installed?

The Maximum Operating Temperature of your processor is 90c. After 90c is reached it should start to throttle.

You also need a strong CPU Cooler since the processor's rated TDP wattage is 105 watts.

Note: If your processor was purchased in a Sealed AMD Retail box than you have a 3 year AMD Warranty that starts as soon as your vendor's Warranty or Return date expires.

You can open a AMD Support ticket under "Warranty" to see if they believe you need to RMA your processor to be checked from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes

It's not a temp issue.  I am water cooling and none of the core temps gets above 63c at highest when running R23.  I tried OCCT and it doesn't give different results from the other logging app that I tried - in other words there is no obvious issue with volts or temps anywhere there is a sensor to record..  The OCCT extreme test is actually not enough to cause the hard lock - only R23 does it.

To be sure it wasn't anything else I swapped out for some new memory (to get some RGB bling too) but that hasn't made any difference.

I have a few days left to swap at MicroCenter so I will do so - I still can't shake the idea that it's with the CPU.

0 Likes

I did swap at MicroCenter for a new piece.  Props there - very easy, no issues.  The new piece runs fine without undervolt though, of course I will be undervolting for all the right reasons.  Guess it was just a marginal unit.  Now I can wait a little before getting that B550 motherboard that I've always wanted.