cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

LoneDragon
Journeyman III

5900X hitting 90 C while browsing

Alright, I've been running this same 5900X now in a SFF build ever since the chip came out. After growing weary of the warmer and louder SFF factor (sub 10L), I decided to move everything into a Lian Li O11D Mini. And here is where the fun begins. First I used a 240mm MSI MAG Core Liquid that I had, probably a V1. All my case fans were also InWin fans, (I was after them for the looks for a theme build that had been in this case), which needless to say had very little airflow. Using the default mobo bracket with the clips, it would idle in the mid to upper 60s C, and everytime I even opened a browser, instantly go to 90 C. So, I got a Arctic Freezer II 280mm AIO, and Lian Li unilock fans for case fans. Instantly I could tell the difference in airflow, and consistently cooler air. However, CPU temps continue to read the exact same, with the exact same behavior. Thermal paste has been replaced multiple times. Arctic cooler is also mounted with the 4 screw points instead of the two tension clips like the MSI cooler. Lian Li's software aside, I am very frustrated.

Any ideas and input is welcome. 

Motherboard: MSI MEG X570

CPU: 5900X

GPU: 7900 XT

RAM: 32GB Trident G. Skill

Storage: M.2 Sabrent 1TB, M.2 Sabrent 8TB

Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 280mm, stock fans

Case: Lian Li O11D Mini

Case fans: 7 Lian Li Unilock 120mm fans

All software is up to date. All fans are operational. AIO is plugged into the "pump" header on mobo, seems to be one cable for pump and fans?? GPU idles at around 33 C.

0 Likes
1 Reply
Angeluk
Challenger

Probably your cooler is installed inappropriately. Try resit cooler and keep the sides of your case open, if this does not help and you still get temperatures high as the one you mentioned, undervolt your CPU.

0 Likes