Mainboard: Asrock X570 Pro4

Processor : Amd Ryzen 9 5900X

Ram : Corsair 2x16GB DDR4-3200

Videocard : RTX 3090

Harddisk : 2TB Samsung SSD 860Evo,2TB Force NVMe MP600

Case : Fractal Design Define 7 Compact

Cooler Be quiet! Dark Rock pro 4.

Windows 10 pro 10.0.19042.

There are also other 5 fans inside the case (3 on the top of the case in order to drain better the hot air)

Until a couple of weeks ago on this system there was mounted an Amd Ryzen 7 5800X, I decided to change it due to the high temperature putting an Amd Ryzen 9 5900X instead…. I haven’t reinstalled windows after changing the processor, because I think that there was no need (I am not sure at 100% of course) …unfortunately what happens after changing the processor is to have higher temperatures than before.  I play a lot with PBO and curve optimizer to better the situation, but the differences were very small. I have customized also all the fans that could be controlled by the bios to work at full load after reaching 70 degrees. Here below you can read all the made test.

The curve optimizer is set all to negative values in order to reduce the voltages as follows: the fourth and fifth processor set to -20, all the rest to -30. The other point that is a little bit strange to me, is that the curve optimizer is inside the PBO option, so if I disable the PBO, you cannot access to the curve optimizer but on the other side if the curve optimizer was enabled and set before, disabling the PBO will not disable the curve optimizer.

Config #1

XMP profile on, Pbo disabled, Curve optimized on, PPT 142, TDC 95, EDC 140

On idle between 44 C and 50 C

Cinebench R23 - 10 minutes test

Singlecore : 1619 points with a temperature between 71C and 73C

Multicore : 21655 points with a stable temperature of around 88C in the last minutes of the test

Cinebench R20 – standard test (it lasts a lot less, only to render one time the picture)

Singlecore : 627 points with a temperature of around 72C

Multicore : 8470 points with a temperature of 83 C

Horizon Zero Dawn set at 1080P@120hz hits 89C degree during the loading and in the start menu; during the integrated benchmark reaches an average of 154 fps with a stable temperature between 87-88C degree.

Config #2

XMP profile off, Pbo disabled, Curve optimized off, PPT 142, TDC 95, EDC 140

Singlecore : 1564  points with a temperature between 75C and 78C

Multicore : 20136 points with a stable temperature of around 88C and with peaks of 90C degree.

Cinebench R20 – standard test (it lasts a lot less, only to render one time the picture)

Singlecore : 611 points with a temperature of around 77C

Multicore : 7962 points with a temperature of 84 C

Horizon Zero Dawn set at 1080P@120hz hits 85C degree during the loading and in the start menu; during the integrated benchmark reaches an average of 144 fps with a stable of 85 degree.

Config #3

XMP profile on, Pbo disabled, Curve optimized off, PPT 142, TDC 95, EDC 140

Singlecore : 1562  points with a temperature between 76C and 78C with peaks of 80C degree

Multicore : 20181 points with a stable temperature between 88C and 90C with peaks of 91C degree.

Singlecore : 608 points with a temperature of around 78C

Multicore : 7923 points with a temperature of 85 C

Horizon Zero Dawn set at 1080P@120hz hits 89C degree during the loading and in the start menu with peaks of 91; during the integrated benchmark reaches an average of 152 fps with a stable of 89 degree.

I have also tested other games in the 3 configs like Mafia definitive edition, red dead redemption 2 and cyberpunk 2077 and the CPU reaches similar high temperatures. If I try to compress big files or to decompress them, the CPU instantly reaches 90 degree. It also happens during the install of compressed games.

Are there any problems with my CPU? The temperatures seem to be too high in my opinion and the CPU goes constantly in throttling. The cooling system I do not think it is bad and I do not know what to do to better the situation. Any suggestions or feedback?

0 Likes
8 Replies
delevero
Adept III

Hello.
I think your cpu cooler is very good it could technically speaking handle double the heat than the 5900x produce.
I have a 3 fan water cooling AIO system my self and idle is about 38c and at max it goes up to like 81c

Regarding your experience where it goes up to 90c then maybe you have to go into bios and manualy adjust the fan curve so your cpu fan run faster at X temperature. Maybe the stock/auto function run a bit slow.

Alternative reason for the temperature could be you used to much cpu paste, or maybe one of your fans is spinning in the wrong direction. ( also check the fans are running ).
It can also be you need to tighten your cpu cooler a little bit more and one side of it is not touching as "hard" as the other side.

Be aware that as long as you are below 90c everything is okay the cpu runs hot no matter what, but anything about 90c
will activate a feature that will slow down your cpu to protect it self.. This can create lag spikes in games.

in general if you really have +90c heat then something is wrong, then you should reduce your overclock if your cpu fan cannot cool it better than that. My advice try to aim for like 82c if you can.

0 Likes

I have already gone in the bios and changed the fan curve, as I have already said the fan goes to full load after reaching 70 C degree.

No, the Cpu is not overclocked, it is at stock settings.

0 Likes
EFermi
Miniboss

The trick is that near-90°C is considered a non-critical work temperature by AMD, so if your cooling is set to "auto" it will boost relentlessly until it hits said 90° and only then will drop frequencies/voltages. Try setting a fixed near-base clock and voltage in BIOS with all types of boost and auto regulators off, and force your cooling to run at 100% all time and see how it goes. 

0 Likes

in the bios I have already set a custom setting : full load of the fans when they reach 70 degree. But no matter what I set...at the moment that the processor stop to work, the temperature goes down very quickly to around 50 degree... 

0 Likes

By default, the system ups voltages pretty high up. Did you also force constant voltage (not one of those +/- offset BS, full manual mode)?

0 Likes

I tried to lower them using clocktuner 2.0.

I gained some performance in the multicore performance, but I lost the single core performance. It fixes the core frequencies on CCX1 and CCX2 to a value of 4500Mhz for CC1X and 4350 for CC2X. But the temperatures are in any case high

0 Likes

It still seems like there is something wrong there.  It is possible the the internal heat spreader (IHS) isn't pulling the heat out of the CPU appropriately.  In which case you would likely need to RMA the CPU, or try delidding it which I wouldn't recommend.   The first step though is to see if you can improve things with a reapplication of thermal paste and reseating the cooler.

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

I think you may be at the limits of your cooler, or at least, there is some sort of issue with the dissipation there.

I currently have a Ryzen 9 5950X, and it is set to PBO on with PPT 215W, TDC 140A, EDC 160A.  Cinebench R23 is running 29457 in Multicore and 1659 in single on a 10 minute run. 

I set the TDC at 140A as that is where the processor hits 1.30V on multicore and about 70C.  The TDC is maxing out and PPT is hitting 94%, so I am generating way more heat than you are.  Now I am using a EK custom cooling loop as the cooler, but I would think your processor should be able to do better than it is doing at the stock settings with that cooler.  Something definitely seems off.  Have you tried reseating to the cooler?  Using a different thermal paste? 

My system for comparison:

Mainboard: ASUS X470 Crosshair VII

Processor : AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

Ram : Corsair 4x8GB DDR4 set to 3600 MHz (CL14) Fabric clock 1800 MHz

Videocard : RTX 3090 FE

Harddisk : 2TB WD Black SSD SN850

Case : Lian Li PC-V3000

EKWB Custom Loop (280mm and 420mm radiators)

Windows 10 pro 10.0.19042.

0 Likes