cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Petti
Adept I

5800X3D Temps

Hi, I have a 5800X3D CPU and occasionally when doing things like creating a Modded Minecraft world or to a lesser degree scanning the PC the temps can get up to 90c or a bit above. Even if I have other things going at the same time as that the highest I've seen is 93c. Is it ok for the CPU to hit those temps then drop down to 75-85c during gameplay? If I need to drop the temps I really, really do not want to underclock/volt/anything. I share this computer with an elderly parent and I can't monitor it over long periods of times and I do not want to inconvenience them with stability issues. Any education on what is a safe temp range and when I should start worrying about the lifespan of the CPU would be great, I'm not that concerned if it just slows itself down while working hard for a few minutes. My main concern is not damaging the component. Thank you for reading.

0 Likes
1 Solution

According to Amazon Ad about your Deepcool Air CPU Cooler it has a high TDP Rating of 260 watts:

DeepCool AK620 CPU Air Cooler High-Performance 260w TDP 6 Copper Heat Pipes Dual-Tower CPU Cooler with Fans Each 120mm PWM 1850RPM 68.99CFM for Intel LGA 1700/1200/1151/1150/1155 AMD AM5/AM4

So your DeepCool Air CPU Cooler shouldn't allow your processor to reach 90c since it is a strong rated TDP CPU Cooler.

Your Air CPU Cooler does have 2 Fans on it correct in a Push-Pull configuration?

I would double check the Air CPU Cooler installation and that it has a tight and even contact with the processor and the Thermal Paste was applied correctly.

That you have good air circulation or flow inside your PC case. If your remove your PC side panel and the CPU temps are slightly lower that would indicate poor air flow inside your PC case.

Make sure the CPU Cooler fans air flow is not obstructed and the fans are working at maximum speed above 80c.

Also Ambient Room temperature can make a huge difference in your CPU temps. The hotter the room the hotter the average CPU Temps will be.

Personally with your CPU Cooler your processor maximum temperature should be 80c -85c or lower at any loads.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

Petti, maximum temperature is 90C. How were your temperatures measured? Please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) running Cinebench R2024. Images of RM only. I tend to stay away from under-volt. Ryzen takes care of itself very well. Thanks and enjoy, John.

I was using HWiNFO64 though I haven't updated it in a while.Screenshot 2024-02-09 110340.png

0 Likes

Thanks Petti, this looks fine! The processor is throttling due to EDC (red), with a couple others (yellow) on the verge. I would take no further action except to use RM when you want to see what is really going on. Any changes can well lead to instability. thanks and enjoy, John.

Your Post seems to indicate that you either have a under performing CPU Cooler or the CPU Cooler is not installed or working correctly.

What is the Make & Model of your CPU Cooler?

According to AMD Specs your Processor has a fairly high TDP rating of 105 Watts and it recommends a Liquid AIO CPU Cooler for the processor:

Default TDP
105W

I'm using a Deepcool AK620, the things I read before buying the cpu said that would be a good one, no idea or not if that's true.

0 Likes

According to Amazon Ad about your Deepcool Air CPU Cooler it has a high TDP Rating of 260 watts:

DeepCool AK620 CPU Air Cooler High-Performance 260w TDP 6 Copper Heat Pipes Dual-Tower CPU Cooler with Fans Each 120mm PWM 1850RPM 68.99CFM for Intel LGA 1700/1200/1151/1150/1155 AMD AM5/AM4

So your DeepCool Air CPU Cooler shouldn't allow your processor to reach 90c since it is a strong rated TDP CPU Cooler.

Your Air CPU Cooler does have 2 Fans on it correct in a Push-Pull configuration?

I would double check the Air CPU Cooler installation and that it has a tight and even contact with the processor and the Thermal Paste was applied correctly.

That you have good air circulation or flow inside your PC case. If your remove your PC side panel and the CPU temps are slightly lower that would indicate poor air flow inside your PC case.

Make sure the CPU Cooler fans air flow is not obstructed and the fans are working at maximum speed above 80c.

Also Ambient Room temperature can make a huge difference in your CPU temps. The hotter the room the hotter the average CPU Temps will be.

Personally with your CPU Cooler your processor maximum temperature should be 80c -85c or lower at any loads.

How do I change the fan curve and do you have a suggestion on what to set it to? I would like to try that before trying to redo the cpu cooler if possible.

0 Likes

First I apologize I confused GPU Fan curve with CPU fan curve. Radeon Settings does have  GPU Fan curves that you can create but not for the CPU Cooler itself.

Found this gaming tech site the shows you how to configure your CPU Cooler fans to run faster at a lower CPU temperature. It recommends downloading FAN CONTROL App to create a custom CPU Cooler Fan profile: https://www.gamingpcbuilder.com/custom-cpu-fan-curve/

Here is the link to download Fan Control: https://getfancontrol.com/ and at GITHUB: https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.Releases . I remember another User using this app to control all the fans in his PC.

I'm with @elstaci , you shouldn't be going over 80/85. My brothers 5800X3D on a corsair h115i won't even touch 65C.

You shouldn't be afraid of undervolting nor curve optimizer, normally they drop the temps and increase performance.

Good luck 

The Englishman