cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

zhee
Adept I

5800X3D crashing constantly during gaming - please help

As the title states, I think my 5800X3D has been crashing all the games I have... But I think I need to give some context beforehand.

Around new years I upgraded my GPU to 7900 XT, which made my PC specs look like this:
- MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon Max WiFi
- Ryzen 5 3600
- RX 7900 XT
- 32GB 4x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 C18
- 1TB Samsung NVME & 1TB Samsung SSD
- 850W Platinum Be Quiet PSU

I had this setup running fine for a month, until I decided to upgrade the CPU. So I went for the R7 5800X3D. And this is when the troubles started. I started getting crashes in games I was playing at the time - WoW, Cyberpunk & Hogwarts Legacies. At first I thought it was the GPU drivers, so I ended up going through literally all the AMD drivers since November 2022. Some were more stable, some less, but crashes persisted, even though different between drivers. Being out of options I swapped the 5800X3D back out to 3600, and well... so far no crashing.

Inbetween all this I also tried out another motherboard - ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming Wifi II - the 5800X3D was crashing on this too, so I assume that rules the board out. Also the funny thing is that the CPU runs P95 and Cinebench without crashing at all.

As for the crashes - they were various- sometimes rebooting the PC, sometimes BSOD, sometimes a driver timeout issue (this seems to be  GPU specific, but never happens on 3600), and sometimes freezing and unfreezing.

As for any customizations:
- CPU running stock, no OC.
- GPU running stock.
- RAM running DOCP/XMP.

At this point I think it's safe to say the CPU may be faulty, but I am curious whether there's something else I may have missed?

15 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Hi, have you tried without DOCP enabled? 

The Englishman

Not yet, but I did consider this and most likely will try. Bear in mind DOCP works just fine with the 3600, is it a real possibility it may be causing issues with just 5800X3D?

That is the whole reason for the troubleshoot.   ; - )

If it runs like a charm with DOCP disabled, then we know the CPU doesn't like the memory sticks high MT profile.

Causes: Could be a damaged CPU or just bad luck at silicon lottery. If the latter, you may have to tune the memory a bit to get it stable again.

Remember! DOCP/XMP/EXPO is considered overclocking and there was a time that even Intel considered XMP a reason to void warranty.

The Englishman

Understood I'll definitely give it a go. But assuming it works - does that mean I cannot run any RAM at higher MHz, or I can then try a different set of RAM sticks?

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I also think it might be the memory / motherboard / CPU issue.  Give it a try with stock settings and just two sticks of the RAM; try just one memory controller and then both memory controllers (one in A, one in B slots).

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Disabled DOCP - so far, no crashes... I still get a bunch of WHEA Warnings in Event Viewer, but it's not crashed yet. Fingers crossed, will run this for another day or so.

All in all looks like I'll need to change my RAM to something more X3D friendly, currently considering G.Skill Trident Z Neo.

t3chl0rd
Adept III

You hadn't mentioned anything about what Bios or Agesa you are using so thought might make a suggestion. When swapping out the CPU's have you reset defaults and reconfigured, and made sure you using bios updates for the 5800x3d? Agesa 1.2.0.7 or possibly the newer beta 1.2.0.8 or try reflashing and redoing the settings without using old profiles as I hear they can cause issues and also sometimes just redoing them can fix odd problems.

Ryzen 5900X PBO/OC, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite F37 bios, Arctic Freezer II 420 AIO, Fans: 3x140mm 2x120mm, 24 GB G.Skill DDR4-3600 18-20-20-40 1T, CM MWE V2 1050w, Gigabyte G32QC A 1440p, PowerColor RedDevil RX 6950XT OC.

I had this happen on AGESA 1.2.0.6-1.2.0.8 I believe for the MSI board, and 1.2.0.8 for the ASUS board.
In between swapping the CPUs I did also reset CMOS. 

LeLoT3
Adept I

I have something similar, but I change Motherboard and CPU (7900X3D).
Last 2 days I noticed some random crashes (event viewer blaming GPU/Driver)... and looking around the internet, I found one "solution"  in my case it  was the PBO in my BIOS, as soon I removed my curved settings and put the PBO to Auto, instead of manual or enhanced) my games became stable!!!!!

I'll try to make more tests to see if the issue is the Curve or the Scalar!! Not sure yet.

My PBO sits at "Auto", I've not done any OC on the CPU.

unii
Adept I

Have you tried updating your BIOS? What are your temps like? It might be overheating and that can be causing instability. This CPU runs very hot at stock settings, maybe try Kombo Strike 3 (-30 all core curve) or 2 (-20 all core curve) in your MSI BIOS (not sure what ASUS has) or PBO2 (it's on github by PrimeO7) where you can edit more things. Kombo Strike was made specifically for the 5800x3D. 

I have indeed, 1.2.0.7, 1.2.0.8, and some other older one. Same thing on all of them.

Have you tried Kombo Strike or using PBO2 with -30 on all cores?

0 Likes

I have not, no. But I am tempted to try at some point. Currently however, disabling DOCP seems to have removed the crashes (yet to run longer tests). WHEA warnings are still present, but at least it seems stable-ish.

0 Likes

if you still have the MSI motherboard, Kombo Strike is in your BIOS in the overclocking CPU section. You don't need to do anything except enable it. Worth a shot. I'd recommend Kombo Strike 3.