Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Thomasdk1405
Adept III

5800x3d - amazing cpu but gets hot as hell

Hi

was on the lookout for new upgrade and went away from new 7000 series as this would also be new motherboard. Was going for either 5950x or 5800x3d. Had 3800x installed in x570 motherboard and with be quiet dark rock 4 cooler. Since I only use this computer for gaming and could get the 5800x3d for very good price I went down on that one.

Now I must say - wauw - oh my - what an upgrade - it eats through my games like peace of cake. Now my 6900x is going to work for the money. But it gets hot ! Idle temp is now 38-43 vs old 3800x 30-35. When gaming I now have 82-90 and before I had 72-78 !!!

Read somewhere that thermal paste on this one needs to be done differently than what I normally do - pea size dot in middle - now better to spread it. I also plan to get extra fan on my dark rock 4 air cooler in case this will help anything but what do other owners do ?

Any thermal paste better than others ? Do I have to switch to AIO's ?

I do not like that I hit 90 even though it will not harm anything but here it will stop and throttle down - I need it to stay below 90 no matter what.

Hope you guys can give me suggestions.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Thomasdk1405
Adept III

Hi - here is the update. Before I had 39-45 idle temp an 80-90 in games - when I played for some time - more like 86-90 all the time.

Now applied thermal Grizzly kryonaut thermal paste - installed extra 140 high speed exhaust fan on top and also extra 120 mm fan on my dark rock 4 - all be quiet.

So now - idle temp is 27-35 in bios - in windows 39-45.. normal gaming as before 65 - 75 and sometimes 82-85. When running cpu benchmark that utilize 100 % cpu I hit 87 as max and no matter what I do not hitting the 90 throttle limit. 

This little cpu is a hot one no doubt but at least now - no more 90 throttle when gaming - most of time it is at 72 - 75 - so all of this helped and I'm happy now !

View solution in original post

8 Replies
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

That is very strange, I find the 5800X3D much cooler out of the box. The non pro cooler may be a bit less but I would double check if everything was correctly seated and enough thermal paste is applied.

Diferences in thermal paste are not that relevant, maybe 2 or 3 degrees. I use Artic MX6 but thermal grizzly is amazing.

Consider an AIO or the Dark Rock Pro with dual fans. My brothers 5800X3D doesnt go above 70 in gaming with a corsair H115i

Another good practise is undervolt or curve optimizer. 

The Englishman

In my case for example, for my 5900x i had to change my cooler. I was getting similar temperatures as you gaming and i was using a AIO 240mm. I had to change to 360mm and now i getting 55-65 gaming.

Thomasdk1405
Adept III

Hi

ordered extra cooler for dark rock and also thermal grizzly - then I will see how that be !

0 Likes

The BeQuiet Dark Rock 4 is rated at TDP 200 Watts while the 5800X3D is rated at 105 Watts. So it should be powerful enough from overheating. But I found out that Ryzen processors tends to run hotter than its TDP ratings.

So I would add a Second Fan to your Air CPU Cooler. In my case, for my CoolerMaster Hyper212 I added a high CFM Fan (5000 RPM)  in a Push-Pull configuration to keep my 3700X below 60c during any type of loads on the processor.

So I would first add a second High CFM Fan first in Push-Pull configuration before replacing your CPU Cooler. Also make sure there is good air flow inside your PC case. Plus the CPU Cooler Heat Sink is clean and not dusty or has a film on oil or dirt on it.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am happy with 5800x3d. For now wraith prism is cooling it and its ok for games but for heavy tasks when cpu usage is 100%  you need high end cpu cooler.

I feel you, my 5800X3D is also pretty hot unfortunately, with a CPU die average temp of 89.1C on a Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B. I may need to look into undervolting it but I have no idea how to do it.

電腦 : 5800X3D • Sapphire Pulse 6800XT • 32GB 3600 • B550 Tomahawk • Superflower 850W Gold • Phanteks 400A Digital
Thomasdk1405
Adept III

Hi - here is the update. Before I had 39-45 idle temp an 80-90 in games - when I played for some time - more like 86-90 all the time.

Now applied thermal Grizzly kryonaut thermal paste - installed extra 140 high speed exhaust fan on top and also extra 120 mm fan on my dark rock 4 - all be quiet.

So now - idle temp is 27-35 in bios - in windows 39-45.. normal gaming as before 65 - 75 and sometimes 82-85. When running cpu benchmark that utilize 100 % cpu I hit 87 as max and no matter what I do not hitting the 90 throttle limit. 

This little cpu is a hot one no doubt but at least now - no more 90 throttle when gaming - most of time it is at 72 - 75 - so all of this helped and I'm happy now !

backFireX64
Forerunner

0 Likes