Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

zmorrr
Journeyman III

3900X Temperature variations

I have just pick up my new workstation:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X AM4. with SilentiumPC Navis EVO ARGB 240 AIO.
Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE AM4.
G.Skill Aegis DDR4 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz CL16 XMP2 F4-3200C16D-32GIS.

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Winforce OC 8GB 

Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus MZ-V7S500BW 500GB.

Seasonic FOCUS GX-750 80Plus Gold 750W.

The problem is that CPU temperature in any conditions (from idle to 100% load) looks like a electrocardiography 

Please have a look on the attached. There is only Windows, no other programs. (except OCCT / other).

Bios updated, same story with drivers/ without them.
It cause the fan speed  floating.

Workstation supplier after tests said that it is normal for AMD o_0

could you please help?

EDIT:

I have climed the computer and after one month (sic) I have it back with no changes. (the main board was damaged during transport, I have new one and the situation is the same. They also told me that they replaced the CPU for different piece and it was the same)

What I have found is that Ryzen Master see no temperature fluctuations, but the mainboard is seeing it and that causes the CPU fan variations. OCCT also see the variations 

3 Replies

My 3600 and 3700x float all over the place with temp too. I think Zen 2 is just that way. Your temps appear to be staying under 80 which should be just fine. My 3600 usually stays under 70 and my 3700 about 72-73 under full load. 

Your chip having more cores is going to be a bit hotter and what you are showing looks about right. 

I am using air cooling, with a CM 212 Evo. 

fyrel
Miniboss

I think OCCT is reading something wrong. It shouldn't be possible to get a graph like the 3rd one which has 100% CPU load 100% fans and a jagged curve, it should only be able to increase in temp until it hits a stable point.

Try running Ryzen master while benchmarking and see how temps look.

0 Likes
twerkthatboot
Adept II

Hi zmorrr.

Ryzen 3000 series processors run a little hotter than expected and you will see a temperature spike anywhere from 40-60 degrees on even idle. This may seem abnormal but I assure you that all users with the 3000 series processors are facing the same issue. For the time being if you want to control the temperatures manually, you can use the power saver mode in windows power and sleep setting. Make sure the Processor Power Management Min is set to 5% and Max is set to 99%. This will forcefully down clock your processor to 2.2Ghz and keep your temps stable at 36-42 degreesNote however that this will only allow your processor to boost 100Mhz lesser than its advertised base clock! Please turn it back to Balanced or High Performance mode when running heaving CPU intensive tasks for proper performance. 

AMD quotes

"The maximum temperature allowed by stock Zen 2 systems is 95ºC. The system will limit its boost speed to stay under the temperature limit.

It is fine to see jumps on the temperature of around 10ºC when idling. This is normal.

It is also possible that you see high temperatures under load. Up to a limit, this is normally okay due to how Ryzen measures temperature.

Zen 2's manufacturing process has quite a high density. This means that you can see load temperatures somewhat higher than what you are used to. This is normal."

If you still are looking for a well-rounded solution, I suggest undervolting the processor. This would allow the temperatures to come down a little (the variation/spike would still happen) but at the cost of your boost frequency which would drop a couple of 100Mhz on single core tasks. If you want a detailed guide, dm me.

Hope this helps for the time being.

0 Likes