Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

FD89
Adept II

Re: 3900X Bad 3DMark (time Spy) Score and temp

Jump to solution

Do my Noctua is enought for Cooling my CPU ?

About my housing, i'm using a NZXT 510, per the review it's a well ventilated housing. I'm running it with the stock fan.

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Jump to solution

@FD89 wrote:

I'm running a 3900X and using Noctua DL-D9L 

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/gp/product/B00QCEWTAW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've already reapplied past (Noctua H1) ealier in case of.

I dont where you saw the 5600x then ? 😛

I've opened my side of case and now the temp is slowly lowering. Actually with OCCT running in backgroup I'm at 76-78degc

Do I have to stop the OCCT wait until it end ?

Again tkank you for your help !!!

Nope you can stop it if you want but you won't get the report if it doesn't finish.

If you are dropping that much with the case open I think you have solved the cooling and thus throttling question.

Yes you have a case air flow issue.

Make sure you have good air flow in and out.

This would be a good video to watch. There are many more out there too to watch if you need more guidance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh6F2eccMec

If you aren't sure feel free to take a few pics of your setup and maybe we can figure out something better for your setup.

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Jump to solution

@FD89 wrote:

Do my Noctua is enought for Cooling my CPU ?

About my housing, i'm using a NZXT 510, per the review it's a well ventilated housing. I'm running it with the stock fan.

Since your temps came down to normal range under load with the case open I think your cooler itself is fine. 

It at that point is likely just air flow issue through the case. You might want to check that on the front you definitely have the fans pointing in and on the back going out. 

I have gotten cases with pre installed fans where they mount them backwards LOL. 

0 Likes
FD89
Adept II

Jump to solution

I've stopped the OCCT test. Finally the temps is going between 76-80 (under OCCT test, after opening the case) and after running another bench, the results still crappy. I remain in the 7000 ish bracket.

0 Likes
FD89
Adept II

Jump to solution

Here some pics 

https://postimg.cc/gallery/sXX1fQR

I,ve just checked in case of, Hopefully the case fan seem to be correctly mounted hahah

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Jump to solution

Keep that case open until you figure out how to keep those temps down. It however could still be that it is just throttling enough to bring the temps down. 

You might talk to Noctua support. They may be able to help diagnose that the cooler is working as it should and what are the best settings in the Bios for controlling that cooler. 

At that point if you are still getting this performance your motherboards support department could likely help you diagnose if they think you have a board configuration issue or if they think maybe you have a bad CPU.

If the latter is the case and you are still in your return or exchange period, then do that. And try again, hopefully with better results. 

If you have to RMA it, you can do that here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form

FD89
Adept II

Jump to solution

Thank you for your support, I'll push further with gigabyte to see if it could be a motherboard issue.

pokester
MVP

Jump to solution

You are very welcome. Please report back what you figure out. 

Also though seriously ask Noctua. Sometimes a fan does not spin as fast as it should and they know what RPM it should be.

Also make sure you are on the right fan header on your board. Make sure that fan header if configured for air cooler not radiator in the bios.

Gigabyte could help you with the fan config on that board too. 

0 Likes
FD89
Adept II

***Update, SOLVED*** Re: 3900X Bad 3DMark (time Spy) Score and temp

Jump to solution

Good news, after doing many test, dismounting the cooler, changing thermal paste, fan etc I've find the problem.

When you use Ryzen master and use gamer mode , it disable half of the core but you can't re-enable them after putting everything into default setting. You have to uninstall the software and re-install it and reboot to solve this.

Thank you Pokester for you help, I've found by your tests I had a heat issue, now it solved by tightening the cooler srews a little more. But the Noctua NH-D9L is not the best solution for this power hungry CPU.

If other facing this issu, look at your task manager the actual core count you PC is using.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Re: ***Update, SOLVED*** Re: 3900X Bad 3DMark (time Spy) Score and temp

Jump to solution

You are very welcome. I hope it brings you years of trouble free computing!

Take care!

0 Likes