Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

drfeelgood
Journeyman III

3800x temp 92C

Hello All

I was one of the first to jump on the Zen2 architecture. I bought a 3800X, a Asus ROG Strix X570-F and 32GB Corsair Vengence RGB Pro running at 3200Mhz. MY CPU is cooled by a Noctua NH-D15 with one fan attached.

Yesterday I just installed the new Asus ROG Strix X570-F BETA BIOS 1201 and it's working better with the new BIOS. The Voltage does not spike up to 1.5000V anymore. It's now sits around 1.3000V +- while IDLE and a TEMP of 45C. Good progress AMD.

But here is my problem. While running AIDA64 Stability test my temp's reach 92C and stay there. While running Cinebench R15 it hit's 83C and only hits 4140Mhz. Is this normal?

Also everything in the BIOS is stock except XMP which is set 3200Mhz on my RAM. I don't DARE to OC or turn-on PBO.

And a other thing i have set the power plan to Balanced and for some wired reason the highest clock i read is on core 2 while core 3 is the favoured one.

0 Likes
5 Replies
drfeelgood
Journeyman III

Update 1: OK now i have done some testing.

My Ryzen 7 3800X will still not hit 4.5Ghz stock or with PBO enabled. I have run Cinebench R15 Single core CPU test and it's missing 70Mhz to hit 4.5Ghz.

0 Likes
xkain91x
Adept I

what you can do is put it on save mode through the windows power management, until they solve the problem. Of course that temperatures are not normal. 

0 Likes
dacq
Adept III

Handbrake is more demanding than cinebench so that would explain why aida64 is too.

Wait and see if there is another BIOS update. How much AMD's new processors can boost to is decided by the government, via back doors. Here is their message: everyone, get rid of your AMD processors and buy Intel only.

You can use a small screwdriver to put one rice-grain-size blob of thermal paste on the CPU near the center and it will cover the two or three areas where the processor dies are as the paste will spread out when the cooler is placed on it. Thermal paste was designed to fill in the tiny cracks between the heatspreader (CPU casing) and the cooler, not as a primary heat-transfer compound. Too much paste does more harm than good so it's not needed in the corners. Use the small screwdriver to straighten any bent pins too. Renew the paste every 12–18 months. See https://binged.it/2ZL6INa

0 Likes
yazx
Journeyman III

i have the same board paired with 3700x, if you leave everything to auto, it will easily reach 85-90 degrees because PBO is set to auto in bios which will kick in and increase the core voltage , thus the CPU will exceed 95W-105W power consumption (for my CPU), mine reaches 125W at 85 Degrees.

so, i dont like to see temps in the 80s similar as yourself, so what i have done is overriding thermal threshold for PBO, the default is 90, i set it to 80, restested and the performance loss is trivial.

you will find this option under AI-Tweaker--> PBO --> last option, set it to manual, another field will open having 90 value in it, change it to 80 or whatever you like.

Regarding frequency for all cores, yes its pretty normal, the adv speed on the box is for single core not for multicore.

0 Likes

You dont need to override the thermal threshold. If you want it to run at stock specs, just set PBO to manual and change the PPT from auto to 105w. Its bass ackwards from how it should work, but it works.

Also, either the Default power limit for PBO and Default non-PBO are both 142w for 105w processors, and 88w for 65w processors.

0 Likes