cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

stinkypete1211
Journeyman III

2700x Sleep / Win 10 / or X470 F Gaming Bug?

Setup:

Asus x470 F gaming

2700x - XFR2 & PBO enabled in BIOS

GSkill Trident Z 3200 

Kraken x62 AIO

Recently built this system and was experiencing thermal throttling. I was using the  pre-applied thermal paste on the AIO block while waiting for thermal paste to be delivered. Since I was lazy, I was hoping a BIOS update would improve temps. Since the updated BIOS (4207 to 4406) did not improve temps, I replaced the stock pre-applied paste with GC2 Extreme and saw an immediate improvement.

I started noticing odd things when running Cinebench benchmark on 4406. When I run the benchmark after system starts up, the scores are in the 1890 - 1900 range. Ryzen Master (RM) shows PBO is enabled and CPU frequency boosts to 4.27 GHz.

I am using a negative .05 voltage offset and within HWInfo, the core voltages (Core VID) are fixed while the CPU Core Voltage (SVI2 TFN) is dynamic.

When I run a Cinebench after sleep, the CPU will only boost to 4.05 GHz resulting in a lower benchmark score. Within RM, PBO is no longer showing enabled and the control method says Auto. Within HWInfo, the core voltages are no longer fixed and the highest voltage will match the SVI2 TFN voltage.

I thought this might be a BIOS issue so I flash back to 4207.  The issue with control method switching from PBO to Auto after sleep does not occur in this BIOS version. The lower boost frequency after sleep and voltage mismatch in HWInfo still occurs. 

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue or if there is a more stable BIOS version I should switch to.

I will play around with Performance Enhance Levels (Level 4), CPU LLC (Level 2) and CPU & SoC LLC (Optimized) to see if any of these settings make a difference.

0 Likes
3 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

stinkypete1211, sounds like you really do not know what is going on on your system.  I doubt you have BIOS problems, except for conflicting settings.  I recommend you flash to the latest BIOS version after doing a Clear CMOS using the User Manual instructions.  Then decide if you are going to OC via BIOS or Ryzen Master (RM).  Using both will only lead to conflict and confusion.  HWmonitor and most free reporting SW is not trustworthy and should be avoided.  Please use only RM to observe temperatures and other values.  Please post all your system specifications and a screenshot of RM - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
stinkypete1211
Journeyman III

I am only using RM to monitor temps, freq and voltage. I am not manually overclocking and using Asus' Performance Enhancer (Level 4) and enabling PBO through the BIOS. I am interpreting the Read Only indicator at the bottom of RM as XFR2/PBO controlled by BIOS.

Below are RM screenshots of how the CPU behaves before and after sleep. When I was on the latest BIOS, the Control Mode would switch over to Auto after it awoke from sleep. Switching back to the DEC BIOS seemed to corrected the issue but still encountering the lower boost and frequency after sleep.

I am on Windows Balanced Power Plan. The one thing I notice is PPT and TDC are at 0% under load before sleep. The readings won't appear until after sleep which is consistent with what I observed with Core VID in HWInfo.I also have the latest chipset installed so this is a head scratcher.

RM before.JPGRM After.JPG

0 Likes

Thanks, stinkypete1211.  I suspect the funny results you are seeing are a result of a conflict.  The conflict is probably between your BIOS settings and ASUS Performance Enhance Levels.  As I stated above, please update to the latest BIOS version, do a Clear CMOS and try running with NO changes to BIOS and NO OCing using BIOS, Performance Enhance Levels or RM.  PBO should NOT show as enabled.  The 0% PPT and TDC values you now see are probably the results of the conflict.  Run your memory at SPD speed not OCed.  Do not under-volt the core voltage.  Whether you try this or nor or whether it helps or not, I think your next stop is ASUS support.  I think they have a real problem.  I will be glad to try to answer your questions, but I have no idea what Performance Enhance Levels is doing, but am very suspicious.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

0 Likes