cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

fobicboy
Adept I

Thermal Paste Contamination

Recently I had to disassemble a mother board for a return. Upon removing my Ryzen 5 5600G processor a string of thermal paste fell on to the pin connectors.  As you can see from the picture it is strung over several pins. The paste I used was Corsair TM30 zinc oxide.

I was wondering if there is a solvent I could soak the processor in that would dissolvepaste contaminationpaste contamination the paste but not harm the processor. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to remove this ? 

0 Likes
4 Replies

Needed to see if the Corsair Thermal paste was conductive or not since it is made with zinc oxide. But Corsair Website mentions it is non-conductive.

Generally Users use 90% or higher alcohol with a Q-tip or very soft brush are used to clean off old thermal paste. But you need to be very careful when cleaning the processor's pins. They are very thin and you can bend or break them if you apply to much force.

If you bend or break any pins that will automatically void your AMD Warranty.

YouTube probably has many videos on how to clean processor's pins that have thermal paste on them.

NOTE: Also check your motherboard and see if any thermal paste dropped on the Processor's Motherboard Socket.

Chester1994
Challenger

My method of choice is isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush. Gently brush the paste away. Clean the brush on a paper or a towel by brushing it with more alcohol, and repeat until there is no more paste. Be patient, it will work!

Use an isopropyl  alcohol wipe, gently wipe the thermal paste off the surface. Repeat this process until the thermal paste is gone. Use a new wipe for each time and then leave it for hour to dry.

fobicboy
Adept I

Thank you all for the suggestions.  I will get some isopropanol and give this a try.